Author Topic: Dumb Question number 455  (Read 1249 times)

DuckRyder

• View Profile
Dumb Question number 455
« on: March 02, 2024, 10:26:16 AM »
I really do have to start writing stuff down.

ATI Dampner - consensus seems to be it is about 7 degrees off and i did verify this when i assembled the engine but i don't remember exactly which way....

So assuming 7 degrees off and i want 36 total actual do i want to align 29 or 43 with the pointer using my dial back light?

Robert

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Dumb Question number 455
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 11:07:41 AM »
I'd adjust your pointer so that you never have to try and remember it. 

Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 01:15:41 PM »
I spent over $200 with Damper Doctors in California to get my Balancer rebuilt. They sent me the wrong on and then said they threw my old one away. They finally got me the right style and I couldn't make the car run right. I checked the timing mark and it was 10 degrees retarded at TDC. I bought a new one made in Taiwan from AutoKrafters for $100 and it was perfect. Remember that name "Damper Doctor" and avoid it.

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 07:05:57 PM »
I've got a new damper (professional products) to go on it when i change the cam.

Robert

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 07:13:20 PM »
I've got a new damper (professional products) to go on it when i change the cam.

That would be a significant downgrade.  You just need a pointer change.  I even have adjustable pointers where you could do it quickly.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

mike7570

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2024, 01:03:16 AM »
I have no idea if my ATI balancer is off or not nor which direction. Just take the time on any replacement to make a piston stop and find top dead center and go from there and like Brent said make a new pointer.
I wouldn’t rely on any 50-60 yr old engine parts mixed with some new items to come up with accurate markings to set the timing to.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 01:09:27 AM by mike7570 »

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2024, 10:34:05 AM »
I ran ATI FE dampers on my 427 and 428 FEs for about 35 years, and yes they are about 7-8 degrees off, but all I did was to find true TDC, and ground away the factory steel timing pointer, until I had a new "point" at the correct position. No cost, and took a couple of minutes with the bench grinder.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2024, 05:30:48 PM »

That would be a significant downgrade.  You just need a pointer change.  I even have adjustable pointers where you could do it quickly.

If i said the ATI is 20 years old would you still feel the same?

Ive gotta get some rocker shims anyhow, i'll get a pointer too.

I found my notes stuffed in a Christ book, looks like i determined true TDC was about the missile on my factory pointer, not very precise but it'll work for now.

Robert

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2024, 07:21:44 PM »

If i said the ATI is 20 years old would you still feel the same?

Ive gotta get some rocker shims anyhow, i'll get a pointer too.

I found my notes stuffed in a Christ book, looks like i determined true TDC was about the missile on my factory pointer, not very precise but it'll work for now.

Yeah, I still think it would be a downgrade.  Not a Pro Products fan.  If you got a hankering for a new balancer, snag a Powerbond.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2024, 07:43:20 PM »

Yeah, I still think it would be a downgrade.  Not a Pro Products fan.  If you got a hankering for a new balancer, snag a Powerbond.

OH wait, that's what i have... PB1111ST

I did say i need to write stuff down...  :P
Robert

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 03:11:23 PM »
On most of my 351Cs I've just painted a rebuilt damper semi-flat blank, installed, verified TDC, cleaned the damper surface and installed a Moroso timing tape. Removed the damper, gave 'em about 3 coats of clear spray and done.

It's been easy 20 years, but I used these guys to rebuild one - https://www.damperdudes.net/  It's still in good condition, even after being raced.  I switch to SFI type dampers if I'm going to be approaching 6500 or better on the track.  I've been around a cast iron ring separating from the center crank drive and it ain't pretty.  Been really close and damn lucky on two occasions. 

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 06:52:17 PM »
Speaking of using old dampers.
I was sitting not far away in 1985 (I recall) an 1/8 mile drag race set up in the industrial section of a small southern Alberta city.
SBC powered rail, at the start line, brother had his hand on the engine to check temperature. His brother in the car revs the engine. The guy with his hand on the engine dropped like a rock. Dead as a door nail. Unbelievable! The damper came apart and ended up in this poor guys chest..... Was not a pretty sight.
Don't reuse old dampers - please.