Author Topic: Lazy sunday  (Read 1343 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Lazy sunday
« on: February 25, 2024, 12:41:31 PM »
Took the day of from all chores and visited my childhood best friend. We go back pre Tonka Loader age
Somewhere there we started building and modifie stuff, putt tooths on the bucket on the Tonkas ;D

Is Tonka Toys still in buissnes? our loaders is now used by third generations. Thats quality toys

Built a lot of   "gocarts" dunebuggys and other "deathtraps"as kids
between my and his  father that had a gasstation and car repairshop there was a lot of usable junk to play with
Before women came in to our lifes and confiscated our creative hours ???

Was a fun day, We had a lot of laughs about old memorys and ate some grilled pickeled herring (noooo not the rotten kind  ;D ;D) and had a few beers

He is building a 55 Chevy wagon

And here is his stepsons LS converted -67 Camaro SS. Just finnished ready for tech inspection 8.00 tomorrow morning

Maybe im an old fart but i find LS engines ugly, valve covers is outright discusting if you ask me

After passing tech on with some classic slotmags after polisshing and new tires

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 08:45:48 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

SReist

• View Profile
Re: Lazy sunday
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 04:58:41 PM »
I don't know how we survived to grow old Heo! Some of the stunts we pulled are surely forbidden today. Your friend has some nice cars there
and does good work. Steve

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 05:56:32 PM »
Yes Steve, bet we both can say.I had a lot of fun and the scars to prove it :D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 07:25:34 PM »
That wagon is being done right! Very clean work. That seems to be a common trait with all the cars you come around, or work on yourself.

Me and a few friends that I've had since childhood were just talking the other day, about how we're all lucky to be alive after some of the stunts we pulled. We used to bumper ski on cars in the wintertime. Wait at an intersection in town until a car pulled up, then we'd run out and grab the rear bumper and go skiing. Streets were snow covered all winter back then. Never did anything destructive to other peoples property, just ourselves..lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 08:44:07 PM »
Yes Dough we used to do that behind the schoolbus we get of at the first stop in the village and grab the rear bumper on the bus an let of close to home.
One time a guy hit a bump in the road that made him flying and he stradled the pole to a mailbox right in the crotch :o :( :'(
We let go and run to him where he was lying in fetal position white in the face moaning my balls, my balls, ooohh my balls ;D
took a good five minutes before we could help him up and limp him toward his home,

When i was at Eriks place today another guy, Billy showed up. He remebered when he almost froze to death when we was and fetched a 8 3/4 rearend out of a 58 Desoto in a swamp.
 Was  about 30 minus about a mile hike in kneedep snow he had not enough clothing . Me and Erik working on turning the Desoto on its side so we sweated, Billy got coolder and coolder i had to kick down some dead small pinetrees and make a fire to taw Billy up.

If somebody told me to that stunt today,  my answer would be,,,,just shoot me here and now ;D

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 01:18:35 PM »
Tonka, one of the best things to ever come out of the great state of Minnesota.

The name still exists, but Hasbro Toys bought the Tonka Toy Company out in 1991, closed the MN headquarters and moved manufacturing to Rhode Island.  The toys are all plastic these days.  Capitalism tends to punish companies that build consumer products that last for 3 generations or more.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 01:20:51 PM by FrozenMerc »

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 01:44:11 PM »

I have fond memories as a kid of my green Tonka dump truck.  That thing had a hard life!  One day my mom was coming home from shopping in her '71 Ford Country Squire wagon.  Going down Parade Hill Road, she got passed by my Tonka dump truck - loaded with my sister's Barbie dolls - on fire!

The truck lived on quite a while after that.  My butt assumed the same color as my Tonka fire engine later that evening  ::) ::)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 06:23:17 PM »

I have fond memories as a kid of my green Tonka dump truck.  That thing had a hard life!  One day my mom was coming home from shopping in her '71 Ford Country Squire wagon.  Going down Parade Hill Road, she got passed by my Tonka dump truck - loaded with my sister's Barbie dolls - on fire!

The truck lived on quite a while after that.  My butt assumed the same color as my Tonka fire engine later that evening  ::) ::)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 07:12:48 PM »

The name still exists, but Hasbro Toys bought the Tonka Toy Company out in 1991, closed the MN headquarters and moved manufacturing to Rhode Island.  The toys are all plastic these days.  Capitalism tends to punish companies that build consumer products that last for 3 generations or more.

Building Tonkas out of plastic :o what a sacrilege. The ones responsibel for that must be brougt in front of a jury of us.....mature boys
and severly punished >:(.
I had the loader and the roadgrader we built quite a big systems of roads, used tincans with both ends removed as culverts
The best dirt to build roads we found were the sistern dad had for tractor Diesel. That dirt mixed with  leaked and spilled Diesel
was claylike you could form balls out of it.
Poor mother loved when i came in after a hard days work on the roads with clothes impregnated with Diesel

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 09:41:26 AM »
mine from 60yrs ago.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 02:50:03 PM »
mine from 60yrs ago.

Nice Shady 8), They are 59 Fords on the transport?
The things in the window, is that different insulators from powerlines?

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 03:17:26 PM »

[/quote]

Yep, those are power line insulators. Got a collection of them myself. Kids today would probably think they're butt plugs.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 03:56:19 PM »

Yep, those are power line insulators. Got a collection of them myself. Kids today would probably think they're butt plugs.
[/quote]

LOL Butplugs ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Here we only got one Power company, the Goverment owned. So only one type of insulators
But many years since the powerlines was dug down under the ground.

I found the one to my house when i  dug a pond for the wife in the garden.
The final adjustment sweep in one corner with the bucket, could have dun it with a shovel but naaah.

Just when i saw it hanging over the corner of the bucket BAAAM and a shower of sparks :o :o
and all the neigbour was powerles. Had to call out the powercompany on a weekend, became a damn expensiv pond for its size :o :o :'(

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 07:41:15 PM »

I see some "knob-and-tube" insulators from old house wiring.  My house is from 1927, and that's what they did back then.  You hammer in the "knobs" to run wires along the ceiling joists, then drill holes and put ceramic insulator "tubes" to pass wires through the joists.  Then you drop down the walls to switches and outlets.  It was cotton insulated wire, with no separate ground!

We had to completely re-wire our house when we bought it.  Don't even get me started on replacing galvanized pipes and clay sewer lines...  >:(
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2024, 08:54:48 AM »
the 59 fords came with the transporter. I played with the cars but never the transporter because you couldn't separate it from the cab. The colored glass insulators are telephone and telegraph, some going back to the late 1800s. The solid ones are porcelain and used for electrical power.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner