Author Topic: block cracked  (Read 1181 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
block cracked
« on: February 21, 2024, 07:22:24 PM »
Just got a call from my machinist and he said I have a small crack in my mirror 105 390 block. As the picture shows it runs from the head bolt hole to the water passage. This is a block that has been very meticulously machined and I would hate to have to start over. I am using head studs and MLS Cometic gaskets if that makes a difference. I am expecting the motor to make near 600hp so the block will live a harsh life. Thoughts on running it, or start over? Jim

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: block cracked
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2024, 08:25:17 PM »
     What you have in the way of a failure is not uncommon, and although 'failed is failed', and from here there are no promises, but I've known of quite the number of cast iron blocks with cracks running from the threaded bolt hole to the water jack and they were put back into service without a problem (the engine generally failing from some other issue first).  Of engines relevant here, not just FE's, but also the 351C's this is quite common, flat-heads in the center two bolt holes in the decks are more often than not cracked as such. and with the inclusion of ARP studs (replacing standard bolts) with their greater pull forces opens up examples in applications generally not so commonly experienced.   :o

Obviously, the concern is that as especially with cast iron the crack will migrate until a greater failure will be encountered, and that is very possible, perhaps even very likely given enough time and agitation, but it seems that generally once away from the spreading force created by the loaded thread in the bolt hole bossing the creep-rate slows considerably. It seems that most whom encounter this issue will often choose to utilize a stud (vs. a bolt) with the meanest thread locking compound they a familiar with (something that might also wick into the crack might be preferred if only to aid in preventing coolant leakage); but just remember, you might need to remove this fixture at some point in the future so keep that in mind in your choice of glues.   ;)

After all, otherwise are you just going to toss the block?   :'(

Scott.

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 09:04:42 PM »
Is it possible to pin/stich a crack in that location?
Since the machining has all been done it might be worth a shot.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 07:26:04 AM »
That looks like a pretty inconsequential crack.  A tiny crack going from the water jacket deck to a blind bolt hole.  Think about it as though the bolt hole weren't blind.  And that the crack is running to a hole means it won't migrate.  So, what is the worst case scenario?  I think you are at the worst case...again, inconsequential.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2024, 07:34:21 AM »
Run it
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2024, 08:36:16 AM »
Non issue .

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2024, 08:55:15 AM »
Common failure.
Usually from somebody servicing the engine torquing head bolts without blowing out the coolant & crud in the hole first.
Head studs with a bit of silicone and all good.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 12:45:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I'm going to move forward with it. Now hopefully my 2 Molnar rods  rods I am getting are close to the same weight as the old molnar rods so I don't have to rebalance.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2024, 01:00:42 PM »
Supposing your new rods are slightly heavier, it would only be necessary to trim the weights slightly to be in balance. Depending on weight differential lighter, you might have some work to have done.

KS

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2024, 01:18:46 PM »
Is it possible to pin/stich a crack in that location?

This particular type of failure does not lend itself to pinning, in my opinion.   :)

Probably the best repair outcome would be brazing of the crack separation, but the heating required of the casting, though obviously less than if attempting to weld it, would corrupt some of the as currently finished machine work in this example.

Scott.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 01:22:31 PM by pbf777 »

63ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 05:20:48 PM »
Had this same crack on my block, it went all the way across to the valley. I bottom tapped it as far down as I could then filled the hole with JB weld and found a rubber o-ring to fit tight over the stud and trimmed out the gasket so it just fit inside, torqued it up while it was wet and it worked well with a Felpro gasket for years,just did it again with Cometics but haven't fired it off yet to see if it works.