Author Topic: welding helmet mod  (Read 1478 times)

Jim Comet

• View Profile
welding helmet mod
« on: February 20, 2024, 09:39:56 PM »
Hey guys, as I get closer to 60 I am getting a propensity to create more humidity (sweaty). I was having a problem with my mask fogging in both summer and winter as my shop is kept at 50deg. I didn't want to run a fan as that interferes with my shielding gas. So I drilled a hole in the top of my mask and mounted a low voltage computer fan in it. I run it off a 9v battery which lasts quite a while. I put some ducting in to direct the air flow over the inside screen. There is an on off switch on the outside of the mask. It is quiet and effective and really helps me see my puddle without stopping to clear out the fog inside my mask. Just thought I would share. Jim
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 06:18:03 AM by Jim Comet »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: welding helmet mod
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 10:09:55 PM »
That is a great idea Jim, I need to make myself a setup like that.  In a similar vein, a local friend of mine made a rudimentary air conditioning setup for his 56 Ford using one of those fans, some kind of a small electric water pump, a cooler filled with ice water and a transmission fluid cooler.  He parks the whole contraption on the floor of the passenger seat and swears it cools better than factory AC.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 01:27:44 PM »
While ECTA Land Speed racing in North Carolina, sitting in staging for a couple of hours in 105 degree plus temps, I found a 'Cool Shirt' to be a great blessing. It's a cotton Tee shirt with tubing attached all across the chest and back. The tubing is connected to a 12-pack cooler full of ice and water with the coolant pumped by a small 12-volt bilge pump. Under a triple-layer fire suit, while belted in place, it's a life saver.

KS

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2024, 01:52:36 PM »
Hey Jim, dont use to big fan so you convert the helmet to a drone :o ;D

Just kidding, great idea

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 01:53:35 AM »
I like it , I have the same problem, thanks for the tip

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 09:53:38 AM »
That is smart. Go ahead and mount a headlamp and earbuds in there and you will be in high cotton! Saw a tictok that had a new design with the light built in the helmet...Blue Demon brand helmet I believe. Getting smart and making moves on technology.

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 02:36:01 PM »
Thats an awesome idea. Did you get that from watching Beany and Cecil when you were a kid?

I have been doing my welding outside to keep the shop from getting so polluted. In the cool winter air, fogging is a big problem. So I'll do you mod.  I think I am also going to mount a powerful LED light on the front to help me see. I have a chunk of cloth on the back of my helmet that hangs down over my neck to prevent lights behind/above me from reflecting off the inside of the lens, that really helps sometimes.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 01:47:38 PM »
Best trouble light ever.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner