Author Topic: Deck with water jacket rods/pins showing  (Read 666 times)

Urgefor

• View Profile
Deck with water jacket rods/pins showing
« on: February 20, 2024, 09:08:40 PM »
While I'm waiting on the rotating assembly from Barry, I figured it would be prudent to get the block ready.  Sent to the machine shop to get cam bearings installed, have the main caps honed with the ARP studs installed, etc. and so forth.  Asked them to make sure the deck was good and if needed, take off no more than necessary to get things squared up.  Just pulled the block out of the bag tonight to clean out the oil galleries, install the gallery plugs and get it on the engine stand.  After getting it on the stand and applying some wd40 to mitigate surface rust while waiting for the rotating assembly, I noticed I could see the rods/pins (not sure what to call them) from the water jackets on the deck.  Just curious if this is anything to be concerned about.

galaxiex

• View Profile
Re: Deck with water jacket rods/pins showing
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 09:23:33 PM »
My decked 428 block looks like that.
I think it's normal?
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2024, 05:40:48 AM »
Normal.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2024, 09:30:41 AM »
Thanks to our member Rod C. who used to work at Ford, we've learned the technical term for those rods found inside the water jackets are Chaplets. They're used in the casting process to support the cores. Sometimes they melt away when the block is cast, often they still remain, but they don't serve any purpose after. Totally normal to see them on the block deck.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2024, 11:18:54 AM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I think I'm still a bit skittish after a couple past machine shop experiences where they just don't listen very well and I tend to get concerned over nothing.  This last experience, while mostly positive, still had an issue where I specifically requested the cylinders be bored with a torque plate and the ARP head studs installed.  Long story short, that didn't happen.  I even verified before hand that they had a torque plate for FE engines (in reality they don't) by calling before sending the block to them. Also sent a set of printed instructions (not hand written) of exactly what I wanted done.  This was service from a shop run by one of the major parts suppliers in this area.  *sigh*