Author Topic: Brake booster test?  (Read 518 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Brake booster test?
« on: February 16, 2024, 08:05:56 AM »
In 64 years I've never had a need. How would I go about checking a brake booster off the vehicle? I have a new booster in my stash of miscellaneous NOS parts that is for a '78 F150. Ironically I bought a '78 F150 a few weeks ago. I just want to check to see if it works. The truck is not running so I cannot install right now and fire it up.

Trimmed down question: How to bench test a brake booster?

Thanks!
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

427mach1

• View Profile
Re: Brake booster test?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 09:02:10 AM »
There are several youtube videos showing how to do this.  You'll need a vacuum source, such as a Mityvac hand pump.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZtDhOgdxno

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 09:32:01 AM »
There are several youtube videos showing how to do this.  You'll need a vacuum source, such as a Mityvac hand pump.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZtDhOgdxno

I'll check it out. I did look on Youtube prior to my posts but I get easily annoyed by everyone making a video and having some goofy B.S. introduction. Seems many videos nowadays have at least a 30-60 second intro.

Thanks!
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 03:32:32 PM »
IMHO about 95% of YouTube "how to" videos contain more yak time than fact time.  Just tell/show me how to remove and re-install the f$#!kin part and stop going on about unnecessary drivel.

When I had the old 2004 F-150 I had to regularly replace the window winders in the truck.  I found a video from a guy that was like maybe 5 minutes about the entire thing - You need these sockets, this tool, remove door panel like this, remove this, this, this, watch for this, assembly comes out like this, etc.  Done.  There was more pointing than talking.