Author Topic: Factory 69 Cobra exhaust?  (Read 1016 times)

FESCJ

• View Profile
Factory 69 Cobra exhaust?
« on: February 12, 2024, 10:31:16 AM »
I am restoring a 69 Cobra formal roof car and I have wondered who the original exhaust supplier to Ford was in the 60's and 70's? I mean, I am aware that Arvin was involved with this, but I am not certain they were the principle supplier? In addition, who was the secondary supplier of which Ford certainly had?

Just curious about this. Any thoughts?

Thx, Brian

Diogenes

• View Profile
Re: Factory 69 Cobra exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 02:17:47 PM »
I know AP Goerlich was a huge OEM supplier, but I can't say with any certainty regarding your application.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

FESCJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 02:40:14 PM »
Thanks for your response! Yes, AP/Goerlich was a huge supplier, but I think much more in later years? I was a master mechanic at a Ford dealership for 32 years starting in 1986 to 2018. I never saw much of anything exhaust wise that would have lead me to think Arvin, AP/Goerlich or anything else.

I know that Arvin was in the loop by virtue of their "Arvinode" systems for Fairlane and Mustang in the mid 60's. Other than that, I only have assumptions based on what I just said.

I suspect.......and only suspect that Arvin was the primary supplier? Ok, reasons being that by the mid to late 60's they had several exhaust plants in several states. I suspect again, that this removed them or superseded them from having a secondary supplier? If they had several plants making factory exhaust, why worry?

All of this is conjecture, I am WAY away from being an expert and would never attempt it. Just a curious thought

Thank you,
Brian N

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 03:31:43 PM »
I'm in the Toledo, Ohio area, and Ap/Goerlich was huge around here--always called Toledo little Detroit, so much in the area was geared towards the big three. I'm not sure how early they came in to the OEM, but 70s for sure. Goerlich dates back to  the 1930s--you gotta think they were supplying the OE from the beginning, though which OEMs are the question.

What makes you think Arvin over any of the other? I don't recall ever seeing any markings or p/ns on OEM parts that would identify the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 03:35:09 PM by Diogenes »
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 03:45:01 PM »
The Walker plant in Jackson Michigan  was the largest muffler, exhaust plant in the world, ( at that time). Ford used Walker, " the aluminized muffler", in advertising in the early 60s. My guess would be Walker, they were the largest, and a supplier too Ford.

FESCJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 03:46:32 PM »
Hey there, and I appreciate all of the response!

I suspected that Arvin was the originall equipment supplier to the assembly plants by virtue of the fact that Arvin provided Ford with the "Arvinode" exhaust system on 63/65 Fairlanes as well as early 64/65 Mustang Hipo models. I must say that I am am far away from knowing everything.........thus asking on this excellent forum.

Walker was large in the exhaust world, but again, I suspect they were tied to GM. I mean, the Walker chamber pipe muffling system for 69 Chevelle and Camaro.

Here is what I believe with very little other than what I've suggested to support it;

Ford, Long time Arvin supplier

Chevy/GM, Walker with maybe a secondary source

AMC, whatever was cheap???

Chrysler, two exhaust companies that I have no info on yet. Possibly a combination of Arvin and Walker or even Maremont?

Thanks much,
Brian N

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2024, 04:50:05 PM »
No help with exhaust but was wondering if your car’s restoration story/history is on line anywhere. Love those Formal Roofs!
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

FESCJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2024, 06:43:16 AM »
No, there is nothing online about my car other than a few short past postings on this forum, but I'll be glad to tell you a bit about it. The car is a 69 Cobra formal roof clone. I chose in this case to build a clone because I could option the car the way I would have ordered it in 69. I have a 428 built to SCJ spec's ready to go in along with C6 trans. The car is awaiting minor "finish" bodywork and paint at this time. I will be using the factory oil cooler setup along with a 9 inch 3.91 rear. Trying to decide on paint and leaning towards Presidential Blue.

I had a 69 Cobra sports roof as my first car back in 1979. Loved that car and I wanted to get back to my roots after playing around with Mustang's for many years.I'm really looking forward to getting it done. I wish I could supply a picture as it currently sits before paint, but the car is in a storage bag in the garage considering the winter.

Thanks for the interest!

Brian N

FESCJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 01:35:28 PM »
I wanted to respond to the questions regarding AP/Goerlich exhaust quick. Yes, I know that AP/Goerlich was huge back in the day as well as now. From the info that I'm receiving, I think AP was much more of an aftermarket company until they purchased Arvin and Maremont. Arvin and Maremont gave them a long list of exhaust assembly plants and allowed AP to begin manufacturing oem assembly plant systems. I am an older past Ford dealership master mechanic, and I remember looking under the first few 1992 Crown Vic's which had a strange looking muffler that AP produced. Ford continued using that same muffler on all Crown Vic's (less Marauders) until the Crown Vic was retired. So, I think AP plays a large roll in current oem exhaust production, but not in the 60's or 70's.......or even the 80's. AP was large, and they produced exhaust, shock absorbers, and many other components!

Interesting to note that AP produced an aftermarket muffler called the Golden Ram. It was painted gold ( imagine that) and looked virtually like an original Thrush. In addition, the Goerlich division of AP produced a muffler called the Roadrunner..........another Thrush look alike painted red. The Roadrunner mufflers were actually produced in Defiance, Ohio at the old Compo muffler plant which has been long closed.I suspect that many other mufflers and pipes that AP marketed were produced at the Compo Defiance plant.

I feel certain now that Walker was the primary supplier to GM/Chevy. I still have no idea about AMC or Chrysler in the day, but I suspect Arvin/Maremont/Walker?

There are plenty of holes in what I suspect with regard to oem exhaust systems. I'm trying to fill the gaps.......because I truly enjoy doing this. I can also now say with much certainty that Arvin was Fords main supplier for literally decades. I spoke with someone literally this week that knows for sure.

Just having fun,

Thx,
Brian N