Author Topic: Trannys  (Read 1281 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Trannys
« on: February 10, 2024, 10:30:40 PM »
So was thinking about buying a tranny.  Looking at Broader,, performance automatic,, and a place called mikes performance trannys. Unless of course you build them yourself who’s everybody using.
Thank. I have used TCI with good luck but thinking about getting something a little beefier. Maybe rollerized to save a little horsepower.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 11:08:47 PM by Stangman »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Trannys
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 11:41:22 PM »
I've had good luck with Performance Automatics C4.  Much less power drag than a C6, and good for at least 750 HP.  There's another outfit call Joel's on Joy in Michigan that is supposed to be even better.  I have one of those C4s to, but don't have a lot of experience with it.  I put at least 20K miles on the PA C4, never a problem in my 511", 706 HP FE.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2024, 11:01:57 AM »
I have heard about both of them. At this time I can’t do a complete swap over to c-4 from a c-6. I would actually love to but it’s probably an extra 2 grand maybe more after tranny lines and crossmember and driveshaft etc. I was thinking about a rollerized c-6 which should save me maybe 15 horsepower along with a direct bolt in. I don’t know if Joel’s does a c-6. I guess I can call on that. One good thing about the Broader one is it’s a forward manual valve body I won’t even have to change the shifter internals.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 03:34:20 PM »
Just going by comments I’ve seen on the internet the last couple years, the hardest issue I’ve seen reported is getting anyone to answer the phone, or even any form of communication, from both Broader or Performance Automatic. I’ve seen a few people report emails to Broader have much more success. Not trying to knock either company, I’ve bought parts from both and been happy, just giving you a heads up. I think some of these small companies are just overwhelmed with business and supply issues the last couple years. A lot of people like having a person to talk to though, especially on a big item like a complete transmission. So just a heads up if you have a timeline, don’t wait too long to start the contact.

I build my own automatics, so I don’t have any experience with buying a complete one, Ford Motorsports used to have a complete gear train kit for building a wide ratio rollerized C6, and it was a nice piece with all Ford OEM parts, I used a couple, but sadly Motorsports dropped it years ago. I think there are other companies that have picked that up though.

I’d also suggest checking if you have anyone local that might be capable. I know sometimes it’s a crapshoot finding someone good with non-stock builds, or with Ford stuff in general, but they can be out there. We have a some decent transmission shops in Minnesota. If you have a Dragstrip local ask some Ford racers who they use.

I’ll just add, try to report back to us if you have success contacting anyone, and how the transaction goes. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 03:38:25 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2024, 03:38:45 PM »
PA emailed me last fall and stated the roof collapsed on their foundry or something to that effect and stated they had no ETA when parts flow would resume. I think if considering the switch it may be wise to procure a FE to C4 bell as that was the hardest component to get. Also note when getting a bell there are case fill and pan fill bells and they are different. Jim

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2024, 05:35:55 PM »

PA emailed me last fall and stated the roof collapsed on their foundry or something to that effect and stated they had no ETA when parts

flow would resume. I think if considering the switch it may be wise to procure a FE to C4 bell as that was the hardest component to get. Also

note when getting a bell there are case fill and pan fill bells and they are different. Jim

Copy paste from the PA website.

"A case fill or pan fill C4 transmission can be used with this bell and all hardware is included."

Link >>>> http://www.performanceautomatic.com/products/parts-and-accessories/bellhousings-and-rings/pro-fit-bellhousings.html

« Last Edit: February 11, 2024, 05:40:55 PM by galaxiex »
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2024, 08:20:24 PM »
I have tried to call broader and could get Jay. I did e mail him and he got back to me quickly. We e mailed a few times in a couple of days and I think a 5 minute phone call would have covered it. Hey I guess online is alive and well, I guess I’m old school I like to talk to a person.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 02:49:35 AM »
I would of liked to have gone for a C4 but to buy and import a c4 to fe bellhousing was over 1000 usd from summit at the time I was looking for one they have come down to around 800usd now just for the bellhousing.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2024, 06:02:54 AM »
PA bells may work on both but not all bells do. Here is a pick of mine. I had to re-drill it to fit the adapter as you can see it is scalloped where the bolts for the case fill would be.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2024, 07:33:48 AM »
There is always the adapter. This one comes with options which always cost more.

https://www.transdepot.net/feadapter

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2024, 09:11:47 AM »
I've had my eye out for a used performance built C4 on Ohio drag race parts FB group but to switch from C6 is costly even with used and that's rebuilding it myself, my C6 broke a band and I've been thinking about going back to automatic from the 4 speed so I might try a light weight drum and sun shell first on the C6 before I go C4 as it knocks almost 8 pounds off of the rotational weight and might bridge some gap between C6 and C4

https://www.mts-performance.com/product_info.php?products_id=123&osCsid=k8sl1e4u0j5i36be6vq8m3fih2
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 09:19:53 AM by e philpott »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 11:00:45 AM »
"A case fill or pan fill C4 transmission can be used with this bell and all hardware is included."

Pan fill bells bolt to the case on a C4, case fill bells bolt to the pump.  So what they are saying - essentially - is that their bell bolts to the pump.  I can see that it is starter drilled for both 157 tooth size block plates (case fill) and the 164 tooth (pan fill typically) block plates.   But those are SBF terms and not FE. 

I build my own C4s but I have used parts from both Broader and Freakshow Performance.  Freakshow is right here in town, so Michael gets any of my business that I can't do in house.  I used a JW adapter bell for the PG to 157 th style SBF on my dragster.  Nice part, hefty, expensive.  That plus the custom converter and flex plate chewed up $1000 pretty quick.  And that was 5 years ago.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 01:06:37 PM »
I wasn't really for sure what I would be seeing when I opened this thread.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 03:27:55 PM »
Joe, we got a Joel's-On-Joy trans for our Mustang. He's pretty careful to build you what you're looking for, I honestly didn't have enough answers for him and told him "do whatever you think is best" quite a bit. It wasn't as expensive as you might think for a full rollerized custom C4. Be prepared to wait a little while, when we were doing ours he was building the drag pak transmissions for Dodge (which may or may not be public knowledge?) and of course Dodge took priority.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 04:51:56 PM »
I have been running a Broader AOD in my '62 Merc for the past 8 years with 0 issues.  All road miles, not a drag car by any means, but definitely gets lots of miles banging around town and down the interstate.