Author Topic: Crower HIPPO lifters  (Read 961 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Crower HIPPO lifters
« on: February 10, 2024, 07:07:29 PM »
I'm in the middle of freshening my 504 and got to wondering about the Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters. They have approx 600 1/4 mi passes and about 500 street miles on them. The rollers look great. The cam lobes show just a bit of color change over the peak. My valve lash was the same as 40 passes ago. So, no obvious wear anyplace. Does anybody have any longevity data to contribute on these solid roller lifters?
Kevin McCullah

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Crower HIPPO lifters
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 07:36:33 PM »
Most of the higher quality lifters like that will last a long time, roughly 7500-10000 miles.

You really have to watch the ones that are not pressure fed.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 08:31:54 PM »
those are great lifters,but 600 1/4 mile passes ! must be equal to 5,000 street miles is my guess.you may want to check with crower and see what they want to rebulid them.just my 2cents.i was told they would do that.

Jim Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2024, 03:31:56 PM »
last year after 500 passes on my Crower HIPPO severe duty lifters, I thought they all rolled good but decided to send them in just to make sure. Crower rebuilt 7 pairs for 50.00 bucks per pair and found 1 pair not rebuildable and charged 112.00 for that new pair. This is with .550 lift, 550lbs open pressure and turning about 7400 through the traps. I think how aggressive the cam is and rpm's would help determine how long to go between rebuilds. Jim

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2024, 12:08:07 PM »
I only buy pressure oiling solid rollers, but after 500 or so passes I'd be sending them in for inspection.   At the rate we're running now with no local track, 500 passes would be about 3~4 years of track visits. I'd be getting really nervous about that point. One of my race buddies keeps two sets and sends his in-motor set in every 2nd year.   He runs a lot of rounds.  Not cheap but a decent plan.