Author Topic: FE Intake install questions  (Read 1374 times)

Bob H

• View Profile
FE Intake install questions
« on: February 08, 2024, 09:41:42 AM »
I just finished watching Brent's video on intake installation. I'm wondering what type of silicon was used. I have purchased a small tube of "The Right Stuff" which is supposed to be what a lot of manufacturers are using now. I noticed that he placed a thin layer on the gasket ( both head side and intake side ) around all of the ports and water passage openings. Is this still a good practice with the regular Fel Pro gaskets ( they come in the set ) ? I also am aware that some still use the Permatex Red Spray on both sides and don't have any leaks. The gaskets have a slight protrusion or raised ridge on one side and I don't know if the silicon would interfere with that. This is primarily a street motor ( 410 with stock CJ heads and a Performer RPM intake ). I did the test fit by laying the gaskets in place and simply dropping down the intake in the proper location. I got lucky. The top surfaces where the valve cover gaskets rest is perfectly even on all 4 corners while the intake rests on the gaskets. What would be the torque value on the bolts in this situation ?         Bob
Bob Henry
66 Fairlane GT
Top Loader
390 ( 428 crank )

Urgefor

• View Profile
Re: FE Intake install questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 01:57:34 PM »
OEM (in this case Edelbrock for the intake) install info for the win!  :D

Torque specs for an engine using all Ford parts are pretty easy to come by as well.  Google and a forum search being the top two resources imho.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:32:24 PM by Urgefor »

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 02:52:24 PM »
I used Permatex Ultra Black on all gasket surfaces--I used Fel-Pro MS90145. I had a smoking engine that was cured by doing this, of course removing the valley pan and adding positive stop valve stem seals probably helped as well. I've not had a problem since. Just know that removing the intake after using Ultra Black or the Right Stuff will be a chore--this stuff seals incredibly well and doesn't want to let loose very easily.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 03:29:31 PM »
I've had the Right Stuff be porous before.  I haven't used it since. 

I currently use Dow Corning 732 clear.  It's very easy to manipulate, dries fairly quickly, etc. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Bob H

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 05:58:50 PM »
Thanks to all.
Bob Henry
66 Fairlane GT
Top Loader
390 ( 428 crank )

Bob H

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2024, 06:10:07 PM »
Ok ... I just checked the temp range of Dow Corning 732 clear. It is good up to 356 degrees F with occasional spikes up to 401 degrees. Then I researched typical intake manifold temperatures. That varies but generally speaking they should be around 250 degrees F at the upper end so the Dow Corning 732 should be good. I also found that the Dow Corning 732 Black has a slightly higher temperature rating ... maybe around 450 degrees F. I will see if I can find my receipt and return the "Right Stuff" back to the store.
Bob Henry
66 Fairlane GT
Top Loader
390 ( 428 crank )

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2024, 07:52:41 PM »
Ok ... I just checked the temp range of Dow Corning 732 clear. It is good up to 356 degrees F with occasional spikes up to 401 degrees. Then I researched typical intake manifold temperatures. That varies but generally speaking they should be around 250 degrees F at the upper end so the Dow Corning 732 should be good. I also found that the Dow Corning 732 Black has a slightly higher temperature rating ... maybe around 450 degrees F. I will see if I can find my receipt and return the "Right Stuff" back to the store.

You don’t have to worry about temperatures.  I’ve used 732 for a decade or more on every part of an FE that needs to be sealed up, including intake manifolds, oil pans, and even rear main side seals.

I wouldn’t recommend it if it’s not successful.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 12:51:50 PM »
I like motorcraft TA-31 im a Big believer after i sealed a pinhole in the radiator with water still in it
Color werry close to Aluminium easy to take apart. Even get british motorcycles to stop leaking :o
Sealed a crack in a board on the boat

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 03:46:02 PM »
I like motorcraft TA-31 im a Big believer after i sealed a pinhole in the radiator with water still in it
Color werry close to Aluminium easy to take apart. Even get british motorcycles to stop leaking :o
Yeah, but the real test would it stop an oil leak on a Harley?
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 04:50:05 PM »
Yeah, but the real test would it stop an oil leak on a Harley?

I have a friend that have a panhead chopper, One time he said to me look att this shit it is an oil puddle under it
and i dont even have an engine in the frame :o ;D ;D Maby i give him a tube of TA-31 Chevy guy as he is :D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 06:46:33 PM »
I have been using TA-31 for a long time now.
Originally designed for use on 6.5/7.3 diesel oil pans.
Obviously good for oil resistance and temperature range.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2024, 07:13:01 PM »
I have a friend that have a panhead chopper, One time he said to me look att this shit it is an oil puddle under it
and i dont even have an engine in the frame :o ;D ;D Maby i give him a tube of TA-31 Chevy guy as he is :D
[/quote]

When you give him the TA-31, make sure to include a bag of Harley-Davidson brand oil dry.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2024, 07:21:56 PM »
Dow Corning if not using end gaskets for a resto, I was reluctant until Brent got me to try it, it's good advice, trust him.  I'd stick with clear too, got a case on the shelf to stand behind my recommendation, 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2024, 11:05:03 PM »
make sure intake fits good or it will suck oil and smoke if it dont seal
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new