Author Topic: Battery fuse  (Read 1638 times)

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Battery fuse
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2024, 01:23:57 PM »
There are heavy duty solenoids that look like a Ford stocker that are designed for high amperage constant duty, one use is in the cranes on service trucks-

Another, perhaps more readily available source closer to our market would be that from the recovery winch (e.g. Warn) companies.   :)

Scott.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2024, 02:04:03 PM »
There are heavy duty solenoids that look like a Ford stocker that are designed for high amperage constant duty, one use is in the cranes on service trucks-

Another, perhaps more readily available source closer to our market would be that from the recovery winch (e.g. Warn) companies.   :)

Scott.

That would probably be the most expensive source lol. They are available on ebay and amazon much cheaper

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2024, 07:18:33 PM »
They are available on ebay and amazon much cheaper

Yes, I realize that that wouldn't probably be the "cheapest" place to buy (nor probably would be the crane companies either), but the idea is to be buying a small something incorporated of a much larger expense product that has been if only "field tested" as being capable and hopefully weeded out the "defective stuff"; as unless your possess familiarity that of the specific item, the good ones from the bad ones, and then already have a good source, as otherwise would you really know what the product is that you might be receiving from the "cheap sites"?   :-\

Scott.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 07:20:14 PM by pbf777 »

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2024, 11:48:17 AM »
I believe 1/0 wire is thicker than 3/0 wire. I think 1/0 wire is fine, welding wire with the fine wire inside is better.

I like 3/0 marine wire. Very fine tinted wire, flexible and thick outer insulation.
Woody

winr1

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2024, 10:12:19 PM »
Have a wire place close, they have a 55 gallon scrap bucket, I found 2 pieces of large welding cable at scrap price

Mounted my battery years ago in the passenger side of the bed, measured wires, went back and they crimped heavy duty lugs on for free

Ran the + wire from battery to solenoid on inner fender well, - wire from battery to one of the starter bolts

The mill now spins over as if the spark plugs are out.... one day, I will mount the solenoid near the battery

On that note, I once had a small cable from battery to solenoid, jumped solenoid an I thought I saw the cable jump ...

Ricky.

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2024, 07:00:55 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that Ford has ever fused starter circuits? With a trunk mounted battery, that might require a fuse.

Normal Ford starter current draw can be 200 to 250 amps, and more in freezing weather.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2024, 07:55:47 PM »
Harry, I run the 1/0 from the back to the front. The fuse between the cut off switch and the front of car is 500 amp. ( Rockford Fosgate). The 1/0 is tinned , high strand count. Any time I need custom big wiring for a car I reach out to CE Auto Electric in AZ. Tony Candela builds whatever I need and answers my noob questions.

JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2024, 01:55:55 PM »
I moved the starter solenoid to the rear with the battery.  With that, the wire to the starter is only hot when cranking. Having a cable with full battery potential in it running the length of the car seems nuts.  One good nick and it'll get bad in a hurry.  At least a fuse would pop - better to use a high amp breaker if you just run a cable. I'd rather not.  I also use a dual contact shutoff - breaks both the ground cable and the battery power feed to the car.  Not the Big Red, a separate power feed.  Big Red only goes to the rear mounted solenoid. Alternator it tied directly to the battery + though a 90A breaker.