Author Topic: Ford Barra I-6 Engine  (Read 623 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
Ford Barra I-6 Engine
« on: January 12, 2024, 08:42:05 PM »
I've recently been introduced to this Ford of Australia inline 6 cylinder, which I've been hearing some very impressive things about. Some have been calling it Ford's 2JZ. Apparently, we here in the states get denied some of the good stuff....

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/an-australian-in-the-states-building-a-ford-barra-in-the-u-s/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 08:46:04 PM by Diogenes »
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Jb427

• View Profile
Re: Ford Barra I-6 Engine
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 11:14:41 PM »
Ford made a big mistake with this engine if they would of put barra's in the mustangs over the crappy eco boost i4 engine i6 na or turbo barra would of been a real hit.
What we call a green top "factory LPG Barra has a green rocker cover" stock bottom end is good for 800 hp and they run them too the moon.

There is plenty of people over here exporting them to the USA now

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 01:15:35 AM »
I can hear the banter in the board rooms in Dearborn,
"It's not American"
"It's not High tech enough"
"but it's a in line banger, we want I4s with turbos"
And so on. If I had one, I'd drive it like I stole it. But give it regular service.

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 03:30:17 AM »
13.4s 1/4 mile is ford factory specs for a factory floor xr6 that was a in 2008 model not bad for a 4 door saloon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPIIEuyoO5I

I think I can get a contact in the USA if some one wants one a I know of container loads going to the USA but I no clue who is selling them in the USA but I am pretty sure I could find out.

people are making over 2000whp with a built barra and a tone of boost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPpzdjT9P28
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 03:36:10 AM by Jb427 »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2024, 11:20:53 AM »
A couple people showed up with Berra powered cars, I think it was at Hot Rod Drag Week, a few years ago. Pretty sure there have been a few more since, there’s so many Drag & Drive events these days it’s hard to keep track. And yes, someone has been importing them to the States for a while now already. As a side note - Tom Bailey’s publication Sick the Mag is a great resource to see what’s going on in the Drag & Drag world, they cover those events specifically.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2024, 03:03:03 PM »
There was two of those for sale on local Craigslist a couple years ago for decent deals. One non turbo and one turbo and both with slushbox tranny, computer and wiring.
 It made me think but I decided against it due to the unique bellhousing pattern and the fact simple things like gaskets may turn into lengthy expensive hunts.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2024, 03:26:26 PM »
There was two of those for sale on local Craigslist a couple years ago for decent deals. One non turbo and one turbo and both with slushbox tranny, computer and wiring.
 It made me think but I decided against it due to the unique bellhousing pattern and the fact simple things like gaskets may turn into lengthy expensive hunts.

A friend has a line on one, but is passing on it for the same reasons. Parts availability is certainly a concern, and while I'm sure anything can be obtained for it, paying the long dollar for an equally long ride on a ship is not appealing.

In my opinion, Ford in the US has a long history of making poor decisions, and not utilizing this powerplant seems to be yet another example. Ford hasn't made anything interesting here in the states in a very long time.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2024, 04:15:23 PM »
I think if you can find the engine in the USA and liked that kind of thing they are a good engine as for parts they fit just about every type of transmission too them now holly or other after market ecu plenty of info around on building one. I am not a fan of them myself but they are a good strong engine as for getting parts out of Australia I don't think it would be more then anything other engine build except for fe or hemi take the normal price of an engine and double it as a starting point.