Author Topic: Inline Autolite Intake for an FE  (Read 2405 times)

kcoffield

• View Profile
    • inlinecarb.com
Inline Autolite Intake for an FE
« on: December 05, 2023, 04:19:37 PM »
I don’t post here much and am really more of a 335 series guy, but have always liked the FE too, and Jay’s/FEP adapter, so this project was sort of a natural for me. I’ve been messing with Inline Autolite Carbs for many years and have sort of become the defacto support for their parts and restoration; I know, but we all deserve to be good at something fellas  :). I also love all things motorsport and really enjoy design and fabrication.

Inline Carbs were sort of still-born but have become very collectable and have a small but passionate following. I especially like folks that actually run them. Problem is, there were virtually no intake manifolds publicly available that were made for them save the CrossBoss for the B302 and adapted Dough Nash injection intake for IR use on 335 series engines. So, since it’s the intersection of many of my skills and interests, I’ve been on a quest of sorts to make induction systems available for the various performance Ford engines of the period.

I like to make them appear like an OE or Day 2 Part, maybe something you could have bought in the over-the-counter program…..no too blingy, just clean and workmanlike.

I’m an admin at a home foundry forum so the video at the link below is geared more towards how the casting was made for that forum. I make’em one at a time fellas so not quite on pace with Jay, and they’re really for period correct type builds and theme cars as opposed to racing but like anything else, can made to be run pretty well in the right hands.

I’ll have another video of the completed ready to run system in the not too distant future.

https://youtu.be/IBB8O_uUtbs

Best,
Kelly
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 04:22:59 PM by kcoffield »

482supersnake

• View Profile
Re: Inline Autolite Intake for an FE
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 06:15:05 PM »
Very cool and awesome job. I've watched your stuff for a couple of years and I'm amazed at  your talent. It would be cool to see this converted to a crossram set-up. Maybe with some Hyabusa ITB's?
Also If you were too revise the top for a dual carb set-up like a tunnel wedge I bet there would be a ton of interest.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 06:24:40 PM by 482supersnake »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 06:32:08 PM »
Wow! thats awesome
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

Val406

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 08:25:07 PM »
Great project. Just the other day I spotted an NOS inline carb next to an NOS Cross Boss at the Columbus Swap. My immediate thought was; what a shame, It'll never see a drop of fuel. Well, never say never! You have formidable skills and you've given the FE world another induction option. I'll be tuning into the 2nd installment of the video to track your progress. Well done and thanks!

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2023, 08:57:10 PM »
Quite cool. What is the combined cfm?
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

kcoffield

• View Profile
    • inlinecarb.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 09:25:30 PM »
.....It would be cool to see this converted to a crossram set-up. Maybe with some Hyabusa ITB's?

Well I already have a set of IR Inline manifolds modeled up for Jay's adapter.

Also If you were too revise the top for a dual carb set-up like a tunnel wedge I bet there would be a ton of interest.

I have a number of 351c guys chomping at the bit for a tunnel wedge....it will happen!

Best,
Kelly

kcoffield

• View Profile
    • inlinecarb.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2023, 09:26:43 PM »
Quite cool. What is the combined cfm?

Haven't had the intake and adapter on the flow bench yet..........

Best,
Kelly

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »
I totally dig it. Functionally it may never approach a reasonable "performance for the dollar threshold", but...

Visual impact score-12/10! Out of the park!

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2023, 10:58:42 PM »
.....It would be cool to see this converted to a crossram set-up. Maybe with some Hyabusa ITB's?

Well I already have a set of IR Inline manifolds modeled up for Jay's adapter.

I have a number of 351c guys chomping at the bit for a tunnel wedge....it will happen!

I have a buddy who would buy the 2x4 for a boss 302.

Best,
Kelly

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2023, 09:48:22 AM »
People over here in Australia would go nuts for a tunnel wedge for a cleveland you could fit that under the hood of our falcons with out cutting any holes

I have watched your builds keep it up Great Work
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 09:50:39 AM by Jb427 »

kcoffield

• View Profile
    • inlinecarb.com
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2023, 10:08:33 AM »
People over here in Australia would go nuts for a tunnel wedge for a cleveland you could fit that under the hood of our falcons with out cutting any holes I have watched your builds keep it up Great Work

Would need to be what we yanks would recognize as the 2V port size and position for Aussie 302c heads.....correct?

Best,
Kelly

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2023, 11:16:16 AM »
That would be the problem for Australian market 2v 4v closed chamber and chi 3v's are all very popular here

kcoffield

• View Profile
    • inlinecarb.com
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2023, 11:37:25 AM »
That would be the problem for Australian market 2v 4v closed chamber and chi 3v's are all very popular here

It's not a problem for 2v ports, it just requires some more modeling and programming. The CHI 3v are a different matter. If it was just a diffrent size port it's a similar task to the 2v version, but the face of the CHI 3v head is not in the same position as OE and every other 335 series manufacturer's heads. Consequently, that's why OE intakes wont fit CHI 3v heads because the gasket surface and bolt holes are all in different locations. Not sure but I presume that is still the case because the reason for this was to accomodate a higher than OE intake port (roof) position.

It was years ago, and before (the first?) ownership change I believe, but I had a customer that wanted an intake for his CHI 3v heads. I quickly figured out that something was off with the dimensions and when I contacted them to make sure I understood the source of the differences, they were not only unhelpful, they were the biggest jerks on Earth to me. I told the customer sorry/no, and to this day, even though I could make such an intake if I wanted to, I won't.

Best,
Kelly
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 11:40:34 AM by kcoffield »

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2023, 12:48:28 PM »

It's not a problem for 2v ports, it just requires some more modeling and programming. The CHI 3v are a different matter. If it was just a diffrent size port it's a similar task to the 2v version, but the face of the CHI 3v head is not in the same position as OE and every other 335 series manufacturer's heads. Consequently, that's why OE intakes wont fit CHI 3v heads because the gasket surface and bolt holes are all in different locations. Not sure but I presume that is still the case because the reason for this was to accomodate a higher than OE intake port (roof) position.

It was years ago, and before (the first?) ownership change I believe, but I had a customer that wanted an intake for his CHI 3v heads. I quickly figured out that something was off with the dimensions and when I contacted them to make sure I understood the source of the differences, they were not only unhelpful, they were the biggest jerks on Earth to me. I told the customer sorry/no, and to this day, even though I could make such an intake if I wanted to, I won't.

Best,
Kelly

Sorry to hear that some people are jerks. Just having the option of a tunnel wedge for a cleveland head would be very cool

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2023, 03:25:59 PM »
Kelly...I find it interesting that this showed up as I was looking at your stuff last week.I watched your video last night I commend you on your work. I like out of the box thinking..I do have one of Jays adapter's on my 427 and I am wondering if you have any carbs...Thanks....Cory
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up