Author Topic: Lifter Replacement  (Read 1031 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
Lifter Replacement
« on: December 02, 2023, 09:23:28 PM »
I suspect I may have a soft lifter, though I'm still trying to confirm my suspicions. Can a bad lifter be identified without pulling the manifold? I suppose a stethoscope may be one way to point me in the right direction, but hoping for something more certain and definitive. I've been slowly eliminating other possibilities, such as pre-load adjustment, exhaust leak, etc. It seems a lifter may be the source of my noise, but I'm still uncertain and prefer not to pull the intake unless necessary.

The engine still runs good, just a bit of an annoying valvetrain noise.

If a lifter is the problem, would a Mahle lifter be acceptable? It is a flat tappet, hydraulic Bullet cam, nothing extreme. The issue of cam and lifter quality these days is worrisome.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: Lifter Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 02:19:07 AM »
Use a .020 feeler gauge and put it between the rocker and valve, while the engine is running.

That should tell what lifter is causing the noise. You may be able to fix it by using a longer push rod, if not, replace the lifter.

Johnson hi lift lifters are the best. Most quality lifters are made by them.
Frank

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 12:43:05 PM »
I have the factory adjustable rockers.

Making adjustments or taking measurements while it is running isn't really in the cards, as I don't have an old valve cover to cut up and don't want the mess associated with doing it without a valve cover. I don't know how messy it could get, as the pushrods don't oil and it is restricted, but it's probably still messy.

I looked at Johnson's website and it looks like they only make roller lifters now. I suppose there may be some old stock flat tappet lifters sitting on a shelf somewhere

1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 01:57:21 PM »
you can remove the lifters without pulling the intake. lisle used to make a tool for that.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 02:11:27 PM »
I have the factory adjustable rockers.

Making adjustments or taking measurements while it is running isn't really in the cards, as I don't have an old valve cover to cut up and don't want the mess associated with doing it without a valve cover. I don't know how messy it could get, as the pushrods don't oil and it is restricted, but it's probably still messy.

I looked at Johnson's website and it looks like they only make roller lifters now. I suppose there may be some old stock flat tappet lifters sitting on a shelf somewhere

You can have a factoryadjuster that backs out they do that when they get loose.  Its not that messy to adjust it running on low idle.
Especialy if you have if you have restricted the rocker oiling

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »
Yeah, I recall the old Lisle tool, just didn't look like there was much access to some of the lifters.

I have adjusted the rockers and made some jam nuts for a couple that were clearly losing their interference fit, so I think I've addressed most, if not all those issues. I did find some exhaust manifold bolts a little loose, hoping that may be part of the issue, but its not a nice day here, so I won't be running it to find out just yet. These GT exhaust manifolds have some bolts that are a bit challenging to get to, especially the passenger side rear. This is a Galaxie, I'm sure I'd get a lot of practice cussing if I had it in a shock tower car. An FE in a Cougar or Fairlane has got to be tight.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 02:54:27 PM by Diogenes »

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2023, 02:57:22 PM »
Yeah, I recall the old Lisle tool, just didn't look like there was much access to some of the lifters.

I have adjusted the rockers and made some jam nuts for a couple that were clearly losing their interference fit, so I think I've addressed most, if not all those issues. I did find some exhaust manifold bolts a little loose, hoping that may be part of the issue, but its not a nice day here, so I won't be running it to find out just yet. These GT exhaust manifolds have some bolts that are a bit challenging to get to, especially the passenger side rear. This is a Galaxie, I'm sure I'd get a lot of practice cussing if I had it in a shock tower car. An FE in a Cougar or Fairlane has got to be tight.
If you use exhaust gaskets throw them away and use hightemp silicone. I had not had an exhaust leak since late 80s when i started doing that

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 02:59:42 AM »
Here is the 2013 catalog.

I believe that Howards only carry the Johnson HYLIFT lifters.
Frank

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2023, 07:20:09 PM »
Here is the 2013 catalog.

I believe that Howards only carry the Johnson HYLIFT lifters.

Thank you for the catalog. I wonder when they stopped making the flat tappet lifter. Their website only lists roller rockers, hydraulic or mechanical, so is it safe to assume they no longer make them at all, or do they only make them for certain re-sellers?

It is far too difficult to verify the source of a company's products, since it seems no longer safe to assume that a company makes it's own products.

1985 Toyota Celica Supra

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2023, 08:37:03 AM »
Another source of noise like that is the fuel pump if your still running one. The spring on the fuel pump arm breaks or just falls out and the arm just flops around making noise like a lifter. You can take a long screwdriver and listen to the fuel pump while it's running to confirm. 

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2023, 09:45:32 AM »
You can usually remove any lifters with the intake in place if you have a factory intake....maybe not with an aftermarket intake.

A push rod rubbing the valley splash shield will sound like lifter noise.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2023, 10:34:32 PM »
Diogenes, I have the Lisle lifter pulling tool.
If you need it I can ship it to you and when you are done just send it back to me....undamaged of course.
Basically you reach down the pushrod hole in the intake with the tool, grab the lifter, pull it out of the hole, shift it over to the bigger open area of the intake space between the ports and pull it out of the engine.

A strong magnet on a stick will also work, just pull slow and steady to release the oil film tension.
The small neodymium magnets are great for this type of grab and pull work.

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2023, 07:01:00 PM »
Diogenes, I have the Lisle lifter pulling tool.
If you need it I can ship it to you and when you are done just send it back to me....undamaged of course.
Basically you reach down the pushrod hole in the intake with the tool, grab the lifter, pull it out of the hole, shift it over to the bigger open area of the intake space between the ports and pull it out of the engine.

A strong magnet on a stick will also work, just pull slow and steady to release the oil film tension.
The small neodymium magnets are great for this type of grab and pull work.

Thank you, I appreciate the offer. I may have one, I've just got to dig into an old tool box--I'll keep it in mind if I can't find it. I still need to try and identify which one is the problem. I do have an Edelbrock intake, and I recall a couple of the push rod slots seem pretty restricted, as if the lifter may not come out, or at the very least there is very little room for error.

1985 Toyota Celica Supra