Author Topic: it happens  (Read 714 times)

gdaddy01

• View Profile
it happens
« on: November 29, 2023, 08:45:20 PM »
after rolling around under your hot rod of choice, after you come in and rub your old hands with arthritis cream do NOT rub your eyes.

Diogenes

• View Profile
Re: it happens
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 04:31:49 AM »
Look at the bright side--at least you didn't need to urinate at that particular moment.
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 05:25:31 AM »
I take a couple of aspirins before I get started .It seems to help with old arthur .

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2023, 07:48:30 AM »
good advice from both

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 08:36:16 AM »
The arthur cream that I use says to wash your hands after application. Seems counter-productive to me...

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 12:01:24 PM »
Methanol and pumice-grit GoJo - same.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2023, 09:52:28 AM »
I'm sure we have all experienced this in some fashion.
Working on mechanical objects exposes us to some irritating things....of which we find out in curious manners.

While the attention getting sensations you describe do make a lasting impression, I find it is the stealthy things that seem to get me the most.

Things like trac-lok additive............a seemingly benign little bottle of special lubricant.
However, should you get this on....well....anything, that thing will stink like the horrible additive for the next ten years and there is basically no way to clean it off.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2023, 10:07:11 AM »
In engineering school I rubbed elbows with a lot of chemistry majors.  You knew who they were because they washed their hands BEFORE stepping up to the urinal  ;D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2023, 02:44:20 PM »
I don't wear gloves as often as I should, but I will never forget my first job at TRW Aeronautics.  Was working with Skydrol (Non-flammable aviation grade hydraulic fluid) and rubbed an itch on my nose.  Had a rash in the mustache area for months afterwards.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2023, 06:23:16 PM »
I'm sure we have all experienced this in some fashion.
Working on mechanical objects exposes us to some irritating things....of which we find out in curious manners.

While the attention getting sensations you describe do make a lasting impression, I find it is the stealthy things that seem to get me the most.

Things like trac-lok additive............a seemingly benign little bottle of special lubricant.
However, should you get this on....well....anything, that thing will stink like the horrible additive for the next ten years and there is basically no way to clean it off.

My father had a tube in a chalkgun with som realy sticky blackgrease probably boiled by the devil himself. That chalkgun never left the rack
but that devilsgrease was on everything in the shop. You was doing something and suddely you felt something sticky on your hand, and the amount of a matchstik head seamed to be enought to make spots on 64 car interiors, 44 pair of T shirts, 16 wieners  8 pair of jeans and a couple of leather jackets. Damned Impossible to wash of anything okay tool you could put in petroleum based deegreaser,,,,,,the wiener not so much. The trick to get rid of tar is butter.......well buttering up ones wiener seems.........a little kinky ??? ;D ;D ;D

obviously there was some devils grease on some of my clothes that wife washed together with her WHITE competition jodhpur pants. I can say i dont got awards for best family member of the month.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 06:36:08 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2023, 06:57:50 PM »
I'm developing a very long life electrical slip ring assembly for a special project.  It uses a custom blend of graphite powder and grease.  THAT STUFF WILL GET INTO YOUR UNDERWEAR IF YOU EVEN LOOK AT IT  :o :o

I feel your pain, Heo.  There are days when you'd rather not be around the nice hats.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2023, 09:27:35 PM »
My kryptonite is anti-seize. I put it on one bolt and I have it on everything... That's just the way it is...