Author Topic: Woe is me, or did my project just grow up?  (Read 1377 times)

jmirel2

• View Profile
Woe is me, or did my project just grow up?
« on: October 29, 2023, 09:16:21 AM »
First post I think, but I've been lurking and learning from this site for a few years now. A bit of background on my situation:  I purchased a way too rusty 67 Fairlane sans motor/trans in Oct '20. Plans were a quick 390/toploader beater style build. Then I attended a Texas mile event. So now it's a full build with a 447 stroker kit from Survival, TFS heads from Mr. Lykins,  Victor efi. Machine work on the questionable 390 block has not been started. Suddenly, without warning, I find this at an estate sale. I spot cross bolt mains, screw in freeze plugs. Side oiler rib machined off, so a boat motor. I immediately strike a deal with the agent who insisted it was a 460 block. Even if it was junk, I had to have it. This post got long, and I swear I'll get to my conundrum.

jmirel2

• View Profile
Re: Woe is me, or did my project just grow up?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 09:32:25 AM »
I took the block immediately to my brother's shop.The bores were greased and stuffed with newspaper dated to 1991. Coolant passages pristine, and rough measured with a machinist rule, bores are certainly under 4.250. Block also is drilled for hydraulic lifters.

jmirel2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 09:52:24 AM »
So here I am. Plan was for the 447 to produce 550ish HP and as much or more torque. Max rpm is going to be held at 6k +/- 100. Goal speed at the Texas mile is 160. This will be a street driven vehicle, so it's whole life won't be abusive. Once my goal is achieved, that's it. (Probably).
My question: do I build the 447 and not care if I break it, or buy new pistons and live the 482 life? Are there concerns with the block longevity with what would be expected to be closer to 575-600 up with the literal boat motor? The block will be sonic mapped etc before any hard decisions are made, but I'm just coming to you guys for some much appreciated heads up.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 10:31:52 AM »
As much displacement as the engine foundation and your wallet allow.  Go big or go home.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 11:06:33 AM »
Great score!  You're doing it right.  I'd build the 427 block as a stroker with minimal overbore.  That setup with TFS heads should easily support 600 HP reliably.  I'm sure Brent will chime in with a good cam suggestion for that car combo.

Welcome to the asylum!

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2023, 11:11:51 AM »
+1 to stroker with minimal overbore.  Great "460" project!  ;D

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2023, 12:13:34 PM »
160 in 67 Fairlane. No problem.
My Mustang is geared to do that in street trim towing a trailer. 3.50 gear.  ;D

jmirel2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2023, 04:44:49 PM »
GerryP,
I agree! I was looking for some confirmation bias!
Bill, I appreciate it. I've ruining my life with cars since before I got my license. Caused me to spend 28 years as a Ford dealership mechanic to feed my habit!
Pat, the agent was a real pill. He literally said "I know what I have" and looked up 460 block prices on eBay, and said $400. I did not feel bad talking him down from there. I will be needing a machine shop. I'm in Corpus Christi Tx. and there is nothing in town. San Antonio is within reach, as is Houston. Anyone know someone in those areas that might at least have a block honing plate for a FE?
TunnelWedge, man. I can't use an overdrive trans or big rpms. Maybe a Gear Vendors, otherwise I will have to use a 2.73 or 3.08 rear gear. Driveshaft critical speed is a real thing in mile "racing".

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2023, 06:11:42 PM »
Charles machine in Arlington is an FE expert. He did my 428 and a bunch of others. Expert work and can do anything but it takes a while as he is a one man shop. would be about a 9 hour drive from you are but worth it.
He only takes cash or check, no cards so be warned
Greg

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2023, 07:00:57 PM »
Mission Auto, Roosevelt Ave, San Antonio (south side) is one of the most widely known FE experts in this area.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2023, 07:55:59 AM »
You are in good hands here.

Just get ready, you know what FE stands for, right?
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2023, 09:40:24 AM »
Thirty five cubic inches means probably 50 pounds more torque and 50 more horsepower - and all of it from bore diameter plus the durability of cross bolted mains - for the cost of a set of pistons?

That's a pretty easy decision.....

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2023, 11:12:36 AM »
Easy decision. Plus the value and awe factor it adds to the car.

jmirel2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2023, 06:16:19 PM »
Easy decision indeed! I'll be contacting Mission right away. I guess the actual choice is going to be made when the block gets a clean bill of health. Up til Saturday, I hadn't even seen a 427 block in real life. Now I own one. And if it's busted? I'm gonna chrome plate it and build it an illuminated rotating pedestal. I've never named a car or a rifle, but I just might name this engine! Thanks for all the info guys.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2023, 08:09:29 PM »
Ford was doing strokers for land speed runs long ago.
Good luck with the plan.