Author Topic: Distributor timing recurves.  (Read 626 times)

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
Distributor timing recurves.
« on: October 22, 2023, 10:08:17 AM »
Last question for now, sorry to bomb the forum-

My distributor was "recurved" back in about 1977 when light springs and "all in by 3000" was the common standard.
And the distributor machine was lost in a fire in about '79.
I want to re-do it to limit the centrifugal timing and run more initial, as is the common modern method.

Now, I have had these things apart enough to be familiar with it being a minor hassle to get at that mechanism, and I am seeking any tips as to hopefully not have to do it multiple times.
What specific method for limiting? How much? Any experience to share?

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Distributor timing recurves.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »
You weld up the slot for the advance

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 12:10:12 PM »
You can change the weights which have different shapes, change the springs to control the rate of advance, or bend the tabs to increase the spring tension, also.  Lots of ways to limit the rate or total amount of advance for street.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 12:32:17 PM »
You can change the weights which have different shapes, change the springs to control the rate of advance, or bend the tabs to increase the spring tension, also.  Lots of ways to limit the rate or total amount of advance for street.  Joe-JDC
Thanks Joe.
Yeah, trouble is- this requires several disassemble and reassemble, test, repeat...

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 12:36:11 PM »
I've seen this method, spot weld, grind...
Question is- how long should the finished slot be? One and done. Maybe?

I could just put an MSD dist. in it, and have the luxury of top accessible weights, springs, limit bushings...
But A: they are a pricey luxury, and B: I kind of like the original look along with the economy. But then on the other hand it does sport one of those big modern caps.
I dunno. Options. I have options.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 12:50:35 PM »
Send it to Faron Roades, the best with Ford distributors

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 01:08:21 PM »
I've seen this method, spot weld, grind...
Question is- how long should the finished slot be? One and done. Maybe?

I could just put an MSD dist. in it, and have the luxury of top accessible weights, springs, limit bushings...
But A: they are a pricey luxury, and B: I kind of like the original look along with the economy. But then on the other hand it does sport one of those big modern caps.
I dunno. Options. I have options.

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Duraspark_distributor_recurve_instructions_page-2.html
here you have the amount
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 01:10:19 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 07:05:09 AM »
That's a good table of dimensions Heo.  If you have a 10/15 slot you are in business because I just use the 10 for performance stuff.  If it is a 13/18 (most common), I braze the 18 side and grind/file to the .410" dimension.  I find that the Mr. Gasket primary spring is too light but others use them with success.  On the secondary side, it should be "loose" (no tension on the spring) until the very last little bit of advance travel in the slot.  If you use this as a starting point you will at least be in the ball park IMO.
You should be able to bend the spring tangs through the hole in the points plate to fine tune without taking it apart again.
Jim

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 08:59:26 AM »
Excellent info Heo!
I think I had seen a chart of the plates before, but not the dimensions. That is very helpful!

And I am in full support of services as provided by Farron Rhodes (sp?) but... You would have to know me:
DIY to extreme. 46-year mechanic experience specializing in advanced diagnostics, drivability, etc. And there is not one thing other than paint that has been worked on by anyone but me on this particular vehicle. And that was butchered.
Knowhatimean?

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 09:25:59 AM »
Mark, a couple things to think about.
1) MSD basically copied the duraspark distributor to come up with their design.

2) The duraspark distributors were first released when small caps were the norm. This means you can install a small cap for the correct appearance if you desire, just be sure to get the accompanying rotor that goes with the small cap.

3) If you will alter the advance plate slot it is 0.026" per each 2 degrees of advance. (.013" per degree). This means you measure the slot as is, then weld and file to the desired advance limit slot dimension based on your measured needs.

4) Adding bushings to the slot limiter post is another way to modify advance plate movement. If you have the plate out for work it is a good idea to modify the post to be highly consistent in measurements, this way you can then make any desired limiter bushing to drop over the post...They are stamped from the factory and not terribly accurate from a machined part perspective, but they work just fine as-is so you don't NEED to true them up.

5) Bending the advance spring mounting post (tighter for later/higher rpm limit) will be that final adjustment to get things exactly where you want them, but it is a great place to start if your advance limits are close already....and easy too because you don't have to take things apart much to get at them.

Good luck. Timing events may be one of the most commonly misadjusted portion of an engine as well as the couse of many problems that seem to be coming from someplace else.

Whenever I get asked to help tune a carb I always start my process by verifying the timing events and getting that squared away first....the rest of the tuning depends on that being correct.

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 02:01:02 PM »
Got it!
Thanks for the notes and discussion Dan!

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 08:54:40 PM »
Getting the little “U” shaped clip out that holds the advance/breaker cam in place is what I find the tricky operation, especially if you have to pull it out a few times to get everything as you want it. Unfortunately I don’t know any special tool or trick for that, maybe someone has a good tip or technique. Also if anyone has a source for any new clips, I had my dealer buddy go though Fords obsolete parts locator many many years ago to find a couple NOS ones, doubtful you’d find any now, which means raiding old distributors to replace a lost or mangled one.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V