Author Topic: Erson cam specs  (Read 1123 times)

galaxie

• View Profile
Erson cam specs
« on: October 12, 2023, 02:50:23 PM »
Hi all, first time posting. Looking for information on an old Erson Hi-Flow-2M cam #240821. How would this cam behave in a basically stock low riser dual quad 427 with 10-1 compression? What power band would this cam produce? Will be in a street only 63-1/2 Galaxie with 4 speed and 4:11 gears w/29' tall tire.

I included pictures of the cam card.

Thanks Brian

1968galaxie

• View Profile
Re: Erson cam specs
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 03:44:20 PM »
That cam is 246 Degrees @ 0.050 I believe.
No extra exhaust duration split, and no advance ground into the cam.
Do you have headers, or factory LR exhaust manifolds?

What rpm range do you want?
I think this one would be 3500 to 6500 rpm power band.

galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 04:05:17 PM »
 I will be running the 427 cast iron manifolds.

I would like to keep rpm at or under 6k.

Thanks

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 04:10:53 PM »
I personally would not use that particular cam.
With factory exhaust you will certainly want some extra exhaust duration.
I would want it at least 8 degrees more (@0.050" lift)
236/246 @ 0.050 perhaps 0.550" lift

Brent might chime in here as well.
I assume you want to keep solid FT? As hydro roller requires steel distributor gear and other associated costs.
Not sure if you have a budget or not.

Cheers

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 04:33:51 PM »
Low riser block will be solid lifter only.....
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2023, 04:41:09 PM »
Ask Brent to have one cut especially for your needs. You won't be sorry. 
Bob Maag

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 06:45:01 PM »
Welcome. I would stab that Erson stick in a 427 no problem.
Hopefully you have some vintage Erson solid lifters to go with it.
It will do excellent burnouts. And sound wicked.
Like 427 is suppose to sound.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2023, 08:31:36 PM »
Welcome. I would stab that Erson stick in a 427 no problem.
Hopefully you have some vintage Erson solid lifters to go with it.
It will do excellent burnouts. And sound wicked.
Like 427 is suppose to sound.

Will the Erson cam work/run? Yes of course.
Will it light up the tires?
Will it sound good - sure.
Can you make more power with a better grind? Absolutely.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2023, 03:42:17 AM »
It's not always about spending more money.
I would rather do a break in on the Erson than some stick from where?
Run it Brian. You will be happy.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2023, 07:12:12 AM »
288/248 single pattern, .587 lift (or .600, depends which version of the cam card you believe), 110 LSA on 110

Nothing wrong with that cam, the High Flow series was a decent cam series, I liked the AM a bit better because they added some exhaust duration, but that'd be a nice street cam.  68 degrees overlap, would give up some RPM compared to one with some additional exhaust lobe, but should run right where you want it.

If the combo is 10:1, I'd put it at 106/107 centerline instead of 110, I'd lash the intakes a little tighter, and the exhausts quite a bit tighter.  My gut tells me lash intakes at .020, exhausts at .014 cold. Even if you lashed all the same, I would go tighter than the specs, big lash numbers can be noisy and the tighter lash gives it a little more duration at the valve

With stock iron heads, I'd expect it to be around 430+ HP at 5700 with real headers, likely better with a medium riser intake. Shift at 6000

Cheap and easy, and a good match.  If you are doing head work and doing a max effort version, I'd look close at cam selection based on port flow, but that'd be a fun cam

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2023, 11:06:55 AM »
Thanks for the input.

Based on my parameters what would an optimized cam look like and what kind of power increase could I expect to see over the Erson cam.

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2023, 12:06:32 PM »
Send Brent Lykins a PM. He has dynoed/tested many FE's - and would have a good idea what an optimized
solid FT would do over what you already have.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2023, 06:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the input.

Based on my parameters what would an optimized cam look like and what kind of power increase could I expect to see over the Erson cam.

It really depends on the entire combo, but will be different amounts along the entire curve, and the power numbers are likely less important than how it matches your use and expectations.  That's the benefit of a custom cam in a street machine

FWIW - I rarely use a shelf cam, I'd say  never, but recently did as a favor, and my own car in 2006...which ironically is a Erson but a little different design

Good simplified rule of thumb though, big power starts with good heads that match the engines operating range.  Then you build outward, just a cam swap from one that matches an RPM range to another that matches pretty well makes them behave better, not huge power numbers.  Really depends on the combo

If you post your entire setup,  intake, heads, compression, transmission, gear, intended use, power brakes, etc  (I know you did some already) lots of us can get much closer.  I'll be on the dyno today but Brent will likely see it and respond too

FYI - I just did a baby low riser with a medium riser intake, no porting, 10:1,  it's in the dyno section.  Smaller cam, but it is a shelf SFT cam based on customers budget, can also gauge your performance against that based on similarity.  It's funny, for that one, 440 HP seems like not a lot in our stroker circles but a tough little streeter.  I'd expect yours you be above that if you run a medium riser intake, lower if it's a low riser
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2023, 01:07:54 PM »
I am no camshaft expert.
Actually as of late I consult with Ross and Ken at Oregon cams mostly about cams...although I have purchased 2 camshafts from Brent. I also have a Straub hydraulic roller.

The real reason I'm posting here is that in my earlier days I ran a solid flat tappet similar to that one in a 454FE in my '67 Mustang. Mine was ground on 108LSA and I installed it dot to dot. The car ran low 11's and was quite streetable around town. Shifted it at 6500.
Is the newer dual pattern stuff better? Probably.

I think you should install that Erson cam. It's going to be plenty rowdy for street only driving...but good for street racing.
The cam I'm referring to is the top one in the picture
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 01:09:32 PM by Tommy-T »

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2023, 01:23:28 PM »
Just a side note, here it is 35 years later and this is the cam that's in my Comet's 428 now.
Not really a single pattern cam because the valve events are different on the intake and exhaust, but pretty close.
Had it ground on a wide LSA so it would play nice with my quad dual M/T intake. Seems pretty snappy!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 01:45:43 PM by Tommy-T »