Author Topic: REMOVE HEAD WITHOUT REMOVING INTAKE  (Read 1106 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
REMOVE HEAD WITHOUT REMOVING INTAKE
« on: October 11, 2023, 01:05:25 PM »
i have a friend who has been a bracket racer sense 1980.he is one of those guys who can take his trans out between rounds and go through it and put it back in and run the same time next round.true bracket racing professional.he has a ford truck he uses to haul his car to the track,390 powered.he blew a heads gasket on his truck at a race earlier this summer.i walked over and looked and he had taken one head off without taking the intake off and replaced the head gasket and put it back on and its fine.i did not know this was possible but not idea for sure.anyone ever try anything like this?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
Re: REMOVE HEAD WITHOUT REMOVING INTAKE
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 01:07:44 PM »
Seems like one of those "You don't know what you can't do if no one ever told you that you can't do it" moments.

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 01:11:30 PM »
I have done it several times myself on stock setups and FT's- IIRC it's in the factory Shop Manuals. Helped a friend do one on a '66 Comet 390, took the two of us about an hour to put it back together in the shock tower car. His dad was a mechanic for a local trucking company that had a fleet of C800's with 391's and had done it many times

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 01:12:12 PM »
The trick is to remove both heads without taking off the intake.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 01:48:20 PM »

LOL
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 02:07:19 PM »
I have done it once... a long time ago. I think I needed it off after I twisted off some exhaust bolts when replacing some blown out exhaust manifold gaskets. Not ideal but I did it.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 02:26:38 PM »
I have done it a lot in the 60's and 70's.
At the Ford dealership I worked in back then it was a common procedure.
Saved a lot of time and you didn't have to use the chain hoist to pull the intake.
Greg

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 04:07:34 PM »

Now that's funny! Still, you need to keep your day job! LOL
Bob Maag

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 04:50:41 PM »
Back in the early-mid 80s, I worked at a high volume engine rebuilding shop, doing engine Re&Res (including pulling the old engine, strip it down to the long block, clean up all the stuff to be reused (oil pan, valve covers, intake and exhaust manifolds, rockers, pushrods, all the external stuff etc), and bring in the fresh long block, install the lifters, inspect and reuse /replace rockers, pushrods etc as required, set the lifter preload or valve lash, reassemble everything, paint the engine, and install it, break in the cam and set the timing and carb, and do a road test), and occasionally, there would be a problem, cracked head, stuck valve etc, so we would replace the bad head, without removing the intake. Probably did 1/2 dozen engines like that, only 1 FE as I recall, but never really liked the idea, and would never do it on anything again. But it did work, saved some time, and I never personally never had a "come back" from doing so. But back when I was working and getting paid per the job, not hourly or flat rate, you did some things that you didn`t really want to do.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 03:27:13 PM by Rory428 »
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 06:29:57 PM »

That time you got the China walls sealed perfectly and didn't want to disturb it...

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 10:12:55 PM »
Done that in my Fairlane several times. Intake gasket stays on the manifold,  tip the head outward, get it over the dowels then tip it upright.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 01:21:47 PM »
Back when my '64 Custom/427 was only a few months old, I let the pump jockey at the local Sunoco station (our regular stop/hang-out) put in a tank of gas. When I left the station I put my foot in it and 'let it eat.' When the 260+ in the carbs ran out, the gas in the tank started to flow and the new load (oops) of 190 didn't like the compression. The result was quite savage sudden detonation. Ring lands on one piston collapsed and seized the rings therein. I immediately began laying an oil fog behind the car from the passenger side.

I was past the 90 day warrantee, but Bill Brown Ford was relatively easy to get along with. They gave me a piston and a set of rings and a head gasket. I managed to get the head off without disturbing the intake. I disconnected the iron header at the 'H' pipe and left it attached to the head also. Everything came off and went back together, although it was somewhat of a struggle working all by myself, bundled up in the unheated garage in the cool of the springtime. It probably worked because I didn't realize I shouldn't have done things that way. :)

KS

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2023, 08:10:36 PM »
I've done it many times.
Surprisingly easy - and fast.
Like mentioned - the trick is to roll it down off the dowels.
I watched a small block Ford nitrous guy do it once between rounds - THAT was impressive!

Mbowling

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 10:09:23 AM »
In ‘76 right out of high school I started working at a uhaul repair shop. The fleet was mostly f350’s & f600’s with 330’s & 359 FT’s.
I pulled many a head off without removing the intake.  I even started one just to watch the pistons!
I also changed many sets of lifters without removing the intake.  Didn’t take long and I could do a set in under 1 hour.
69 GT500 SCJ
69 merc spoiler II 428SCJ
65 Custom R code
34 ford pu. 286” flat tie
64 brand X corvette
66 mustang coupe 289
79 fiesta turbo