Author Topic: Scams  (Read 401 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Scams
« on: September 28, 2023, 08:47:54 PM »
So I'm not on face book, almost signed up a couple times but didnt. My nephew is though and he knows my interest.  He pulls out his phone and said check this out, someone has some SOHC stuff for sale cheap on one of the fe sites.  He shows me the the add and picts and I'm like wtf, that was my shit , the guy was useing the same picts I took and used to sell the stuff back in 18. Nephew left a comment saying they were stolen picts and a fake add and within minutes the profile and add disappeared.  So I'm just scrolling through on his phone looking at other stuff in the fe group and I'll be dam if I didnt come across another profile with a pict of mine from when I sold some old style pond block main caps back in 19. Not done yet, farther down was another pict of the PSE rev kit that I took back in 18.. They didn't even change the wording on the ads and were asking the same prices that I had..
That's some messed up shit there..
Rant over...
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Scams
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 09:50:07 PM »
Yes, it’s epidemic at the moment. Moderators are trying to keep up with it, but it’s so prevalent right now it’s hard to keep up. Personally I think there’s a few more rules each page could institute to help, but then they need to take a firm stance on enforcement. Unfortunately whenever these scam ads get posted a few people immediately comment they are interested, and message the poster, and obviously haven’t stopped for a minute to even do a quick scan of the scammers profile. The buyers need to be much more careful too. But people are trying to jump on a good deal.

Going forward, it might be a good idea to put something identifying in your pictures? maybe not necessarily personal info, but a logo, watermark, mascot, etc. Could help your friends spot the stolen pictures easier on the internet. Just a thought.

I made a post recently when I spotted some of Mean Gene’s pictures stolen and being used in a scam ad, the more of our eyes watching the better.

Sadly, since there isn’t any real penalties or repercussions when they get caught at this they often just create another fake profile and try again, sometimes even the same day.

Buyers need to really be careful about payment methods too, along with not using PayPal “Friends & Family”, unless you REALLY know the seller, research other payment methods before using, some of the other new forms the scammer will try to get someone to use have no recourse if the seller scams you.

I’ll add too, before buying anything from a particular Facebook page, try to get a feel if it’s being actively moderated, some moderators & page owners are very hands on, others aren’t being watched at all. It’s pretty easy on any Facebook page to see who the Moderators are, get to know their names, and watch if they are commenting on their page daily, those pages have a better chance of weeding out the scammers.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

MeanGene

• View Profile
Re: Scams
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 10:12:29 AM »
Yeah, they copied my entire ad, not just the pics- still for sale BTW. When doing admin work on FB, I don't feel the need to pontificate on bad posts or threads, I just give 'em the poof monster- scams will be identified, as they tend to repeat the post across most of the related forums. The thing you don't see from outside is the constant barrage of 3rd-world potential scammers who try to "join" every day. A while back I put in some questions to answer, you wouldn't believe some of the nonsense answers you get, and sometimes you'll get 20 or 30 with the exact same nonsense answers. Most annoying is probably the repeated mythology that has been long debunked, and the just plain bad answers or self-appointed comedians- occasionally half of a thread will go poof. I don't play the kickin' ass n takin' names style of some, just poof works quite well