Author Topic: SCAT stroker kits  (Read 1550 times)

Urgefor

• View Profile
SCAT stroker kits
« on: September 27, 2023, 03:42:47 PM »
Not sure where exactly to ask this, so my apologies if this board is not the correct place for this question. After searching through the vendor and private classified boards and not coming up with anything useful, I decided to ask if anyone happens to have any SCAT stroker kits on hand.  Any information is appreciated.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: SCAT stroker kits
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 04:21:18 PM »
Few - if any - folks keep them in inventory anymore.
Many key components are on perpetual backorder - with backorders orders piling up then a big "load" showing up, leading to a jam up as we try to assemble and balance.

As it stand "today" I have cast cranks and steel cranks.
That was not true two weeks ago.
Might not be true two weeks from now.

Should be able to get rods right now.
Pistons are an "order and pray" deal - depending on bore, compression, and phase of the moon...

I own the balancer - so that's not a problem, but manpower is.  See sentence #2 above.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 09:37:05 PM »
Not sure where exactly to ask this, so my apologies if this board is not the correct place for this question. After searching through the vendor and private classified boards and not coming up with anything useful, I decided to ask if anyone happens to have any SCAT stroker kits on hand.  Any information is appreciated.

If Barry does have cranks right now and has one that meets your stroke and material needs then I'd say get the crankshaft right away. Lots of rod options out there for the 2.200 journal depending on what your application is gonna be. Sure, you will haveta order pistons and then have all the balancing work done but atleast it's in your hands and you will be able to have first hand knowledge of what delays with parts/ machining you may have and not have to constantly be contacting someone that may be putting a stroker kit together for you wondering if and when the parts come in. Put together your own stroker kit. I bet it would come together quicker in the end.
JMO.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

mike7570

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 10:16:14 PM »
What stroke ?  I have a FT 391 steel crank machined for FE with 3.99 stroke, 2.20 journal.
Never used, PM me if interested.

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 10:32:27 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of a 4.25 stroke.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 05:18:02 AM »
Cranks, rods, and pistons are pretty plentiful right now.  IMO, one of the best combos is a Scat cast crank, Scat I-beam rods, and Mahle pistons/rings.  Hard to beat. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 08:58:13 PM »
After perusing through some of the dyno results, I saw that most 6k+ engines were using the forged cranks with a few exceptions.  Having seen Brent's Project Junky Junk 352 Iteration #8 results, I am running with the assumption the Scat cast crank (4.25 stroke) will work for a naturally aspirated (with no power adders) build targeting 550ish hp with 6.5 to 7k rpm max. Thoughts?

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »
You should be just fine in that power and rpm range, especially N/A. The factory cast cranks are tougher than some give credit for. The Scat seem pretty decent as well. I am planning on tickling 8,000+ with my factory junk. I know others have pushed them a good bit higher before. RPM, balance, bearing clearance, journal diameter, rod/piston weight, compression, material composition, power adder, etc. all have an affect on it.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 04:30:36 AM »
After perusing through some of the dyno results, I saw that most 6k+ engines were using the forged cranks with a few exceptions.  Having seen Brent's Project Junky Junk 352 Iteration #8 results, I am running with the assumption the Scat cast crank (4.25 stroke) will work for a naturally aspirated (with no power adders) build targeting 550ish hp with 6.5 to 7k rpm max. Thoughts?

Scat cast crank and Scat I-beam rods would be perfectly fine at that level.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 08:32:40 AM »
A number of us have ran 9 second 1/4 mile times with 50+ year old factory Ford cast iron crankshafts, without any failures, many of us with stickshift combinations, where dropping the clutch at 6000 RPM for years is common. I seem to recall that most , if not all of Bob Gliddens 351C Pro Stock engines ran Ford iron crankshafts. Don`t forget, the majority of factory 427 FEs came from Ford with cast iron crankshafts.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 01:23:16 PM »
Rory beat me to it. Yes, all the 351C runners ran OEM Ford iron cranks back then. Maybe cut for smaller rod journals, lightened, etc. but they still were Ford cores. If Glidden for example did run an aftermarket crank (for a longer stroke) I doubt he did so for long as NHRA Rules killed large(r) CID engines. Match racing might have been a different matter however. 
Bob Maag

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 02:55:06 PM »
Kuntz used a ton of iron cranks in his  FE engines back in the day. Everything from standard journal to offset ground/stroked, 400m rods and 8000 rpm and they lived just fine. Oh and many FE's upwards of 700hp with ford iron blocks back in the day. One of the Best FE engine builders ever in "my" opinion. 
RIP Jim....
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 03:03:58 PM »
No doubt Ford stuff is tough.  For the stroker though, I'd put, and have put, many 4.25 SCATs in the high 500s and up to about 600 at peaks under 6200.  I would not do it with an Eagle just for warning, and as Brent said, the I beam 6.70 BBC rods are tough too.

Unless you plan on shifitng above 6200 or so repeatedly, I'd go with cast SCAT and a good crank, use I-beams or Molnars to save weight, don't use a SCAT H, the weight will offset any strength (if any)

Easy as Sunday morning :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Urgefor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 05:00:30 PM »
The RPM range I made note of was more of a top speed rpm vs a shift rpm and definitely not  something set in stone. I based it off of a gear/tire/transmission combination I'm thinking of using.

Drivetrain info (2.3kRPM@60MPH 5th gear, 6.5kRPM@122MPH 4th gear):
4.29 gears
27" tires
TREMEC TKX 5-Speed TCET18085

Should be a fun street/strip combo.  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 05:04:13 PM by Urgefor »

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 08:10:17 PM »
How would a Scat crank hold up if its shifted at 7500 RPM or more with deep gears (4.72 to 5.12s), light pistons, light clutch assembly, sticky drag slicks. 

I'm thinking the Super Stock cars to that a lot.  Do they run ford cranks or after market forged ones?