Author Topic: FE Power Tunnel Port Cylinder Heads  (Read 12557 times)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
FE Power Tunnel Port Cylinder Heads
« on: September 01, 2023, 09:04:22 PM »
I've been thinking about this project for a long time, 10+ years.  In that time, no one has come out with them, so this past summer I decided that I was going to do it.  The back story on these tunnel port heads revolves around my cylinder head project. Last Spring, FINALLY, I started getting cylinder head and intake adapter castings from the foundry.  From March to June I received about 50 intake adapter castings and 50 cylinder head castings, both the SE and the RE versions.  Starting in late March I had the CNC machine running constantly, to try to get through machining all these castings, and by the end of June most of the heads that my customers had pre-ordered were at my local shop, waiting for seats and guides.  Unfortunately this is their busy time of the year, so only some of those have been finished at this point; nevertheless it's been a big step forward compared to the last two years.

The other good news was that the tooling for the intake manifolds for my heads was done, and they were scheduled to be poured at the foundry in mid-August. This left me with a little free time, and a schedule target to hit in order to sneak some heads in with the intake manifolds.  So with some encouragement from a couple good customers I decided to pursue the tunnel port project.

My SE and RE heads are set up with the same port location as a tunnel port, which gave me a huge advantage in designing my version.  Because of this I was able to use the cope and drag tooling for my heads to also do a tunnel port version, and only had to change the 3D printed sand core.  This saved a whole bunch of time and money, and accelerated the path to a completed head.  From July into early August I spent a lot of time on the computer completing the design, guided by a tunnel port head that I had here. I have tried to make my version as faithful as possible to the original Ford part, while making some improvements to provide a better overall cylinder head.

Pictures of the prototype head are below (Note:  behind the tunnel port head in a couple pictures are a bunch of raw castings for my SE and RE heads, which I just received a few weeks ago and which have not been machined yet; those are either going to people who have contacted me about getting some from the second production batch, or else going into inventory here).  The tunnel port prototypes are bare heads; I have not yet had a valve job done or gotten flow numbers, but I would expect that they will flow very similarly to the factory cast iron tunnel port heads.

Here are the changes I made to my version of the tunnel port heads.  Note that these heads would use the stock tunnel port intake manifold and rocker system, not a specialized system like my heads:

- The floor of the intake port has been filled in, to reduce the port volume and also improve the short turn to the valve.  There is enough material in the casting to open the intake ports up to the stock size, if that is desired.

- Modern combustion chambers are machined into the head.

- The plug has been changed from an 18mm taper seat plug to a 14mm, gasketed 3/4" reach plug.  The plug location has also been moved.  Hopefully this will eliminate the cracking issue between the plug hole and the intake seat that the factory heads suffered.

- The guides have been changed from 3/8" stem to 11/32" stem.

- The exhaust bolt pattern has been changed to the Cobra Jet style.

- Accessory mounting holes have been put on both ends of the heads, not just one end.

- Large inserts have been put into the rocker stand bolt holes, to withstand more spring pressure.

- The intake face of the casting has been thickened, to avoid the cracking on this face down near the deck that is often seen on the original heads.

- One other modification that I may make, if some customers are interested, is to replace the exhaust port design (which is basically like most other FE exhaust ports), with the one from my SE head design.  This will make the casting around the exhaust ports look different than a stock tunnel port head, because of the shape of the port itself.  However, it would result in flow of around 250 cfm, rather than the sub-200 cfm flow of a standard FE exhaust port.

I will be displaying the prototype tunnel port head at the FE Race and Reunion September 7-9.   I am also planning to take advantage of the foundry's recent performance, and order a small production batch of tunnel port heads at the beginning of October.  The raw casting design needs a couple of tweaks, but I expect based on the prototype castings that they will come out looking good.  See the link below if you are interested in getting a set.  And as always, questions and comments are welcome - Jay

https://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=11822.0

« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 07:48:17 AM by jayb »
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

70tp

• View Profile
Re: FE Power Tunnel Port Cylinder Heads
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2023, 06:38:45 AM »
I, personally, would rather to have a set with better exhaust flow and give up some factory appearance as long as traditional exhaust will bolt up.   Most people don’t know exactly what the exhaust side of the head would look like and in a shock tower car the exhaust side doesn’t really stand out.  Can’t see much of that side once in the car.  And thank you for doing these.

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 07:34:13 AM »
Awsome job Jay!

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 08:20:42 AM »
Something that I forgot to mention in my original post is the intake manifold situation.  I already make an intake adapter for the tunnel port, see the link below:

https://www.fepower.net/Products/feiatp.html

I plan to make a special version of that adapter with the ports machined to line up with the ports in my tunnel port heads.  Also (and again fortunately for me), I can build a 2X4 tunnel wedge style manifold that fits on the intake adapter, and use the existing foundry tooling I have for the intake manifolds for my SE and RE heads.  I plan to pursue that over the next few months.

Finally, a friend of mine recently acquired the Ford tooling for at least part of the 2X4 tunnel wedge intake for the tunnel port heads.  I don't know how much of it he has, and I don't know if it is usable, but there is some chance that I could offer a factory style 2X4 tunnel port intake.  This is probably a ways down the road though, and no guarantee that it would happen...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 08:32:58 AM »
Finally!  I am a buyer once the heads are flowed.  I look forward to the finishing details.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 10:19:40 AM »
What cc is the chambers?

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 10:42:02 AM »
Sounds good Jay. I have a pair of iron on the shelf with 11/32 guides, new valves, new springs for a roller. Can I use them with your heads? Also what cc are the chambers ? I am interested, the improved SE port would be nice, the RE port would be nice for some headers in the 56 fairlane. 

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 10:44:17 AM »
Glad to see good castings off that first pour.  Quite an accomplishment!  :D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 11:07:42 AM »
What cc is the chambers?

I'm targeting 68cc for the chambers.  Won't know for sure until I get the valve job done and get valves in the heads so I can measure - Jay
Jay Brown

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2023, 11:09:27 AM »
Sounds good Jay. I have a pair of iron on the shelf with 11/32 guides, new valves, new springs for a roller. Can I use them with your heads? Also what cc are the chambers ? I am interested, the improved SE port would be nice, the RE port would be nice for some headers in the 56 fairlane.

No reason all your stuff won't work, if they fit a factory head they should fit my head - Jay
Jay Brown

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2023, 11:57:09 AM »
Thank you, Jay. I'd love to have a set of these!!!

Are you using the MR valve spacing and location?
Frank

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 12:03:05 PM »
Pretty sure that the factory valve spacing and location is the same for an MR head and a tunnel port head.  I am using the factory dimensions from the tunnel port head, spacing of 2.100", 13 degree valve angle, etc.
Jay Brown

70tp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2023, 12:37:49 PM »
I like the casting number prefix also

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 12:50:38 PM »
Sweet! I could see the SE option as a big bonus for the shock tower guys like myself

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2023, 05:43:25 PM »
Something that I forgot to mention in my original post is the intake manifold situation.  I already make an intake adapter for the tunnel port, see the link below:

https://www.fepower.net/Products/feiatp.html

I plan to make a special version of that adapter with the ports machined to line up with the ports in my tunnel port heads.  Also (and again fortunately for me), I can build a 2X4 tunnel wedge style manifold that fits on the intake adapter, and use the existing foundry tooling I have for the intake manifolds for my SE and RE heads.  I plan to pursue that over the next few months.

Finally, a friend of mine recently acquired the Ford tooling for at least part of the 2X4 tunnel wedge intake for the tunnel port heads.  I don't know how much of it he has, and I don't know if it is usable, but there is some chance that I could offer a factory style 2X4 tunnel port intake.  This is probably a ways down the road though, and no guarantee that it would happen...

His tooling looks pretty good.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=7548449198515349&set=pcb.6255935664518133
Bob Maag