Author Topic: '66 Falcon Gasser  (Read 1055 times)

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
'66 Falcon Gasser
« on: August 30, 2023, 09:46:12 PM »
Reference: Doug Benders drawing - http://www.fairlanet.com/images/pinion-angle-fairlane.jpg from his post.
I’m getting ready to install a straight front axle and move the rear “frame rails” for a narrowed 9-inch rear end under a ’66 Falcon sedan.  I’ve never done this, nor have I talked to anyone that has.  I was aware of and understand the front-end alignment issues.  I don’t want to overlook something that those who have done this often would know. 
I’ve been watching YouTube videos and know I may need to change to front steer and relocate the steering box, etc.
I originally planned to have the body level with the rear raised for 15” large drag slicks and the front axle lowered using somewhat smaller 14-inch or 15-inch tires.  This stance would put the intake manifold’s carb pad at the stock angle and the drive shaft and pinion angles should be close to stock (I hoped). 
But is that best for racing?  When I leave the starting line, the front of the car will rise a lot and the gas in the fuel bowls would move to the rear and the center line floats would be working at a difficult angle.  Would it be better to have the car sit nose down and when it left the line the car would not be so nose high?  Or am I over thinking this?  As I write this, I suspect I am.
Constructive suggestions and comments will be welcomed.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
Re: '66 Falcon Gasser
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 01:38:30 PM »
Sounds like a fun project.
Are you using an Econoline axle or a tube axle such as Speedway?

Using a '66 Falcon you can mount an FE and C6 with stock parts. Eliminates some fabrication.

My '65 Comet "gasser" build is in the Members Projects section of the FE Forum under "The sky is falling". Maybe some of that information will be helpful.

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 06:25:51 PM »
Tube axle from Speedway.  Got it last week.  Car is kinda rough, going on rotisserie first.  I had a '66 Falcon wagon with a 428 and still have many parts from those days - headers, shifter, real airlifts.

bsprowl

• View Profile
    • Ford FE Information
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 10:19:39 PM »
On another tread it was suggested that I get a roll cage kit from either Rhodes or Alston.  I plan to do so. 
I read their installation instructions and they tell me to install the seat before locating the roll bar.  The roll bar location iffy.  I'm 5' 10'' and my son is 6' 1".  The biggest likely driver is 6' 3" and the smallest is 5' 4".

Does NHRA allow the seat mount to be adjustable? Jegs sells an adjustable seat mount which allows you to unbolt it and relocate it.  Summit sells a latch type of adjustable seat.  Are both types OK with NHRA?
I guess I need to determine who my tech support guy is in my NHRA division and send him my questions.

But where do I locate the roll bar if the seat location is adjustable?   

(I was not planning several hundred dollars for a seat, but I knew there would be unexpected costs.)

mike7570

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2023, 11:00:02 PM »
Adjustable seat mounts are no problem, Summit has plenty of them. They also have an adjustable version of the back brace mount.

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 09:17:19 AM »
Love it gasser's are so fun!!!!