Author Topic: BHJ FE Honing Plates In original BHJ Boxes very lightly Used  (Read 9945 times)

cdmbill

• View Profile
I have a set of cast iron BHJ FE 352-428 Honing Plates that I no longer need (my machinist also has a set) I would like to sell them for $100 plus shipping. I thought I should post here before eBay or the other forums. Any Interest? They are still in BHJ shipping boxes.

Bill Fowler

cdmbill@me.com
949-933-9093

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: BHJ FE Honing Plates In original BHJ Boxes very lightly Used
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:44:53 AM »
I'll take those plates, Bill!  I'll send you an email - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

cdmbill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:48:04 PM »
Done! I'll send them this week.

cdmbill2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:32:31 AM »
Jay, sorry for the delay, its been almost as crazy here as it has been on your end. I'm shipping toda.

Bill

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »
Any chance I can see a picture of these plates.
The thickness and material would be great also.
I just had a look at the cost of them new. Yikes! Smoking deal there Jay.
I have a big cunck of aluminum plate that I have been thinking I need to whittle
some plates out of.
I'm just getting my big First 5HP 40 Spindle mill back out of storage and going to set it up in my new
shed. Man I have missed my big drill.
Thanks
Howie
Mod: A pic of a couple of tools I was able to save after a few rough spots.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:23:55 PM by ScotiaFE »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 10:46:20 PM »
Nice looking machine tools there, Howie.  I'll try to get a picture or two of the plates and post them in the next couple days.  The plates are steel and they are HEAVY; shipping was about $80...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 12:49:19 PM »
Here's some pictures of those plates, Howie.  They are 1.75" thick, but I don't know what the material is, other than its some kind of steel.  One of the plates has through-holes so it can be bolted onto a block for honing operations, and the other has threaded holes so that it can be bolted to a head for valve job work.  I agree that they were a pretty good deal, and have to thank Bill for selling them to me at that price and getting then shipped out here.  Shipping those heavy things was $75 alone LOL!

Jay Brown

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 09:53:06 PM »
Thanks Jay.
They have always made me think about different load factors comparing materials, bolts v studs, gaskets.
ie: Is the distortion different between iron, steel and aluminum?
Does the distortion change when you have an actual head vs the honing plate?
How much does the gasket play in the distortion and would different materials change the numbers again?
Almost a chapter in a book. LOL
Thanks again for the time.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
to the blue paint and lettering except mine says SUNNEN.  Everything from Studs to Bolts alters the effect on the walls but realistically so does hot water/heat in the block. One things certain just bolt on a set of heads and measure the bores for a shock.  Gaskets same as will be used are supposed to be installed when honing. Obviously a real head will distort itself more then those masses of iron

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »
Scotia, here's a neat video (start at 1:20 if you like) of how a deck plate, studs, etc. affects a cylinder bore. Most high end shops indicate that literally anything that changes (studs to bolts, one type of head gasket to another, etc.) can and will affect the bore...meaning don't do it. As mentioned, really high end engines not only get plate honed with the exact components installed and torqued that will be used in the build but hot water at the expected operational temperature is circulated through block during honing to achieve that perfect seal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cLjdr2GSwU

I've seen this done but I've never actually seen a Serdi-machined cylinder head with a plate as the NASCAR folks and others do. How does the tooling get around the massive thickness of the block honing plate? Do they use a plate with large reliefs to allow access to the valve seats? Anyone know or have a pic of head being done this way.

Bob Maag

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Jay, a question about the deck plates you purchased?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »
Are these plates made from cast iron or steel? And how thick are they? I been thinking of making a set for myself to save the full cost of buying a set. It`s not a big deal for me to make them as I have a fab shop business. Garry

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
As noted above, they all seem to be about 1.75" thick. The ones I've seen are steel plate but I guess they could be made out of cast iron.  And sure making a set for yourself would be kinda' neat but if one adds up machining time, unless it's free, and the $ for material stock, looking around for a used set might be easier.

Bob Maag

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 07:40:25 AM »
I will probably have Willie make a set up for my shop in aluminum. 

I suspect that the "trick" setup will be to bolt a real head onto a block & measure the distortion from below - and then find a torque value that mirrors that distortion with the plate.  In the past we used the BHJ iron plates with a stack of washers/shims to mimic fastener heights, along with the proper gaskets.  Just seems that we should also be using the same material as well...