Author Topic: Were to find narrow/short clutch fan.  (Read 4587 times)

bartlett

• View Profile
Were to find narrow/short clutch fan.
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
I ordered up a big 4 core radiator for my car and I'm thinking to keep things simple I would use a modern clutch fan like I have on there now. I only have less than a 1/2" clearance/gap from the raid to the clutch now. I'm thinking I am going to need a shorter shafted clutch fan. And help? I had planned to use the 16" spal fan and shroud but it would not clear my water pump.

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Were to find narrow/short clutch fan.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:41:56 AM »
I run a Flexalite 5555 with their blade on my 489, it was the shortest I could find at the time.

---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:42:01 AM »
I think the shortest one is a Hayden 2765, which is dimensionally identical to the one used on the 428 CJ cars.  You will have to check though, to see if the pilot hole and bolt pattern will match your fan/water pump combo.
Jim

frankenfords

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 04:33:28 PM »
I cannot remember the part number, but the shortest one I have ever found was for a (I'm pretty sure) 92-96 Jaguar. I spent a bunch of time going through the books at my local Napa, and that was the shortest clutch I was able to find with the proper rotation direction. I had to bolt it down with studs and nuts; a standard bolt won't fit in there. Even at that, the nuts are a PITA to get started with my big fat fingers. The bolt pattern and the hub diameter were just fine for a Ford.

Hope this helps,

Brett
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:37:26 PM by frankenfords »

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 04:38:15 PM »
Yes, the 2765 is a "Jaguar" fan clutch.
Jim

bartlett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 10:46:58 PM »
thanks guy's .... When the raid shows up I'll Get some clearance numbers and See what I can do ......

amdscooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:11 AM »
Please do. There was some damage to my front clip done by a previous owner of my car and I could simply not get a fan clutch to fit. I had the guys at the local Oriely's opening up boxes for me and I was unable to find a suitable substitute that was short enough. I ended up with a flex fan and solid spacer. Love to go back to a clutch.