Author Topic: Project 503 aluminum FE  (Read 4957 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Project 503 aluminum FE
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2023, 06:08:46 AM »
Nice work so far, glad to see the crank getting put to good use!  Was the lower gear issue caused by SCAT making the crank wrong, or is it due to the lower gear?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 06:10:32 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2023, 12:36:28 PM »
I've heard the same thing about the belt drive setups. Our friend called it a "do it yourself kit". They get you 90% there. I'd still like to run one on my next engine though.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2023, 10:21:30 PM »
Nice work so far, glad to see the crank getting put to good use!  Was the lower gear issue caused by SCAT making the crank wrong, or is it due to the lower gear?

No issues with how the crank was made besides the typical journal diameters having to be touched a bit. All the issue was with how the cam drive was made. I could have made a spacer and pushed the main cover out , then take a little off the crank gear and then shim the cam hub out to make everything align but in my mind the best way was to just take the .270 off the crank snout shoulder so that's what I did. Everything lined up nicely and the crank gear has good seal engagement now. I'm pleased with the outcome. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2023, 10:43:17 PM »
I've heard the same thing about the belt drive setups. Our friend called it a "do it yourself kit". They get you 90% there. I'd still like to run one on my next engine though.

It's definitely not a bolt on and go deal so not recommended for the guy (or gal) that expects to just bolt parts on and go. It wasn't a huge deal though and easy enough to resolve.  I'd say it's about right saying it gets you 90% there.
That being said, I'm pleased with the system over all. Seems to be good quality stuff and I'm happy with it. Performance parts sometimes need massaging.  12 years ago I installed a Danny bee FE system on an engine and had to make modifications to the tensioner pulley assembly, all part of it,  just how it goes sometimes.  Keeps things interesting. 
Side note/  I have had zero troubles with the one on my 445 FE that I made from a 351c belt drive system. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2023, 10:10:48 PM »
Looks great so far!
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2023, 11:00:51 PM »
Managed to get a little time out in the shop this evening. Thought I'd work on getting the Dizzy and cam drive all buttoned up and done. Things went pretty well besides getting called out on an emergency call once but I took care of it and when I got back home I went straight back out into the shop. Made some decent progress in a few hours time.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2023, 08:30:03 AM »
That's sweet. I like it.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2023, 07:54:32 PM »
Decided to switch gears and work on something different Sunday night,  it's all gotta be done so why not. Pulled the FE Power intake and adapter off the shelf and started doing a little massaging and fitment work .
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2023, 11:17:47 PM »
The dreaded 4.375 arm and .525 lobe not playing nice together..

Modification time. YeY..

Sorry for picture quality,  it's a mirror  image.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 04:13:52 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2023, 11:01:37 AM »
Yikes! And of course everything is already balanced. Different rods or some grinding?
Bob Maag

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2023, 12:39:52 PM »

Modification time. YeY..

I went through this on a buddies 526. It had a "tiny" cam in it... maybe a .425 lobe. He wanted a bigger cam, well when I was trying to degree the new cam in, it would come to a full stop.... ugh.  Tried a few other cams, nothing had enough clearance, had to regrind a cam, did finally get .055 clearance. I don't know what rods you are using, but the Callies ultra H beams with a 2.200 journal wouldn't likely work with a .525 lobe!
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2023, 04:21:51 PM »

Modification time. YeY..

You can usually dress the rod there and make it clear. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2023, 06:46:34 PM »
So yesterday early evening after I picked up my mom and dropped her off at church, (shes 86 and doesn't drive after dark) I stopped at a friends house and just for shits and giggles I sized up my Crower rod against 2 different rods he had there. A Compstar H beam which had even more "meat" in the affected interference area than my Crower, and then sized my Crower up against a Howard's UD I beam rod and they were dam near identical.  I knew then that I had a date with the belt sander. Hung out and chatted a bit til time to pick my mom up and take her back home. Got back to the shop and figured I had a couple hours so I changed out my belt and got busy making some "adjustments" to a couple of the rods. By midnight I had #3 and #7 like I wanted them and ready to go back in the block for a test fit. I'm right at     .070" clearance,  give or take a thou or 2 and I think I'm gonna live with that. I have had to do a few aluminum rodded 4.250 armed combos and always shot for .100" rod to cam lobe clearance in those cases and it always worked out. Hopefully being a good quality steel rod I can live with the    .030 less clearance. I'm gonna try and get #4 and #8 taken care of Wednesday night, tonight (Monday) is house cleaning night and Tuesday and Thursday evenings I work on my buddies 65 Ranchero pro street build.
So anyway, progress being made, just a hiccup is all. And yes, I said belt sander, I learned a long time ago when doing rods I have way better control and do a way better job useing the outside radius edge of a belt sander than a carbide bur/cartridge roll and die grinder. Just the way I do it.
Thank everyone for you guys input.  I always appreciate it. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2023, 06:53:15 PM »
Belt sander works very well.  You only need about .030” clearance on steel rods.  Thats worked for me for the past 15 years. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2023, 08:55:57 AM »
Agreed.
You don't need much clearance there.
Them parts aint supposed to move around too far - or you have much bigger problems.