Author Topic: Question on Holley Terminator X Stealth 4150 2X4 EFI  (Read 2559 times)

CDXXVII

• View Profile
Re: Question on Holley Terminator X Stealth 4150 2X4 EFI
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2023, 10:31:14 AM »
Seems obvious now that you said it. I think the term "bowls" is what threw me.

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2023, 12:15:37 PM »
Since you are using a TW intake, it should not be an issue to mount them sideways.  Order a TR linkage kit for SBF/TR or 460Ford/TR from Weiand and you should be able to make it work smoothly.  The air filter housing should still fit for a 2x4 Ford manifold.  Joe-JDC

Thank you SO MUCH for the insight! I'll do some looking around and if you wouldn't mind, I'll reply to this thread with what I find to be sure it's correct. Thanks again.

DuckRyder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2023, 01:50:32 PM »
I think you will still need an adapter the mount the TBs, i know they make them. I don't think a square bore is precisely square.

I also wonder if you could mount a non stealth TB in the rear position....
Robert

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 11:56:12 AM »
Since you are using a TW intake, it should not be an issue to mount them sideways. 

Yes, it would be necessary to turn the throttle bodies sideways in order to fit the Ford O.E.M. intakes; note that this does require either an adapter to turn them or some welding and machining of the carb. pad.   ;)

Also we have run T.W. and T.P. single plane intakes with carbs mounted sideways before and although at W.O.T. all is fine (as well as the intake functions that is) but at part throttle we definitely have experienced left to right side of engine fueling biases.   :o

As far as with E.F.I. T.B. injection, if all eight throttles tip simultaneously with commensurate four corner fueling each, then that would be superior from the fueling distribution stand point, but low-speed throttle transition control might sorta suffer!   ::)

Scott.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2023, 02:29:35 PM »
>but low-speed throttle transition control might sorta suffer! 

I dunno, there seems to be a little "magic" that happens when you place carb barrels over the runners on a tunnel ram.  With careful tuning, it's almost like every cylinder gets one and is happy about it.  I ran two Edelbrock 1406s on a Wieand t-ram on a 302.  I tried a bit of delay between carb one and two and the engine didn't seem to like it so much, kinda "meh".  At 1:1, it was "OK, lets go".  The 60' on the track was same as with a single 650DP on a Air Gap intake.

TurboChris

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2023, 11:29:14 AM »
Anyone seen / got a picture of what the offy adapters look like on a TW or TP with dual holleys?
1966 Fairlane - 427 - Pond Block - Edelbrock - Tunnel Wedge

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2023, 06:24:08 AM »
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-550-1076 Has anybody run this system on their dual quad FE? Forgive my ignorance, but would this be a correct fit (I'm using the Trick Flow Tunnel Wedge 2x4)? I'm seriously considering going the EFI route and really like the sort of "original" look this would give. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I could buy 2 new sets of carbs for my TW and still have money left over for gas.
And no electric parts to break down.
And you need lots of gas to operate a TW.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 06:19:26 AM by Tunnelwedge »

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2023, 06:16:51 AM »
My cheap ass 650's. Work great.
It runs on the front carb until about 3300 rpm
then the back carb will start to open. I have worked the transition slot and timing. 
In 4th I'm legally speeding on any public highway @3200 rpm. Which would be illegal.
It gets ok mileage. The trailer put a dent in that. I was stopping all the time.
I have a stock gas tank. A bigger tank would make difference.
I have about 11.5 of vac @ idle. I can run it on 87 if I have to. And I have.
It's a highway engine and car. No electronics on the engine.
I don't use a choke on either carb and I have no problem starting it on cool wet morning.

I think if you have the coin and like the look those on top of TW with some nicely done
plumbing/wiring. And well done linkage and a nice gas tank to go with it.
That would be a really nice show piece.
Depending how you use the TW and the type of engine under it will be part of the equation.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2023, 09:06:59 PM »
Back about a zillion years ago, when Holley first started talking about EFI, I was writing for Super Ford Magazine. I called Holley and asked if they'd given any thought to doing a package for factory dual quads. They first told me that it'd be six months before they went to dual quads, and after several months they'd decided not to do it at all, "For the forseeable future."

I told them I had a car to work on---Brother Lon's '67 Mustang with 427 TP engine---and offered to do all the work if they'd help me with the tech stuff. We agreed, and over a few weeks, installed two complete systems, with separate electronics, but a single paired fuel delivery system. I won't go through the whole scenario, but we did put together the very first dual system that Holley was aware of. By the way, it worked great when we got it all sorted out. I wrote several articles for Super Ford as we did the work, and Lon's car was on the cover when we wrapped it all up.

Now, to your proposed project. First, throttle body EFI systems that have the injectors mounted in the throttle bodies are set up in such a way, that all four injectors run all the time. They are not staged, with primary and secondary barrels like a carb has. Therefore, with two throttle bodies, you'll have one injector for each cylinder, and all eight will run all the time. There will be no imbalance if you were to mount the TBs sideways.

Don't expect to be able to switch to methanol and use the original TB injectors. Methanol is a wonderful competition fuel. It's much more desirable than gasoline. But stoichiometric values for gasoline are about 12.5/1 if you are looking for greatest performance (14.5/1 for driving down the street). The equivalent performance value for methanol is more like 4/1. Very likely injectors for TBI aren't available that are that large, and the system isn't designed with enough tuning latitude to work. Drag-'n'-drive engines such as are used in Drag Week have a completely separate set of eight njectors for the 'drive' activity on gasoline, and use sixteen much larger injectors to provide the methanol for the 'drag' activity.

For what it's worth, I'll never use carburetors again. EFI opens up a whole new world of performance.

KS

62_BattleBird

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2023, 05:42:20 PM »
So would something like this work? Thanks again for all the insight!

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2023, 06:37:41 AM »
I think it would look awesome. The sideways big Holley's look great on the TW.
Tuning would be interesting.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2023, 02:51:05 PM »
Very likely injectors for TBI aren't available that are that large, and the system isn't designed with enough tuning latitude to work. Drag-'n'-drive engines such as are used in Drag Week have a completely separate set of eight njectors for the 'drive' activity on gasoline, and use sixteen much larger injectors to provide the methanol for the 'drag' activity.

I'm talking bracket racing, in the 450~650 HP range, not 8 second Drag Week cars. The dual Holley TBs provide a total of 800 lb/hr which should be plenty for 650HP on methanol.  Rule of Thumb for most bracket engines is 1 lb/hp/hr on methanol.  The TBs should be able to handle that at less than 100% duty cycle.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 03:59:01 PM »
Aside from differences in tuning parameters, the materials used in manufacturing the injectors for TBI injection are unlikely to be 'happy' if one were to expect them to ingest methanol on a regular basis.

KS