Author Topic: portable paint booth  (Read 688 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
portable paint booth
« on: June 22, 2023, 02:40:17 PM »
Since I sold both body shops I don't have a clean place to paint my car's any more.
My home shop is just to dirty and has to many air leaks in it to use.
I was looking at the china made paint booths with 2 fans. 33x16x13 for $900.
I try to not buy china stuff but don't know of an American made unit.
Has anyone bought one of these and if so how did it hold up and work for you?
Thanks
Greg

428kidd

• View Profile
Re: portable paint booth
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2023, 07:30:51 AM »
For $900 dollars if it works go for it. Two cars and its paid for. On a side note any connections you might still have with someone that would let you rent there booth on a Saturday?

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 09:27:13 AM »
Thanks for the answer.
The body shops here are all open on a saturday and are super busy. I would hesitate to ask someone to rent their booth as I am a little slower with my work then I used to be.
There is an older shop that went out of business a few years ago in a small town near me I was thinking of buying it
for the booth.
While We were discussing the deal someone broke into the shop and stole all the guys tools and compressor.
I didn't feel comfortable living 20 miles away and not being able to watch the shop while not in use so declined the sale.
I was just wondering if these blow up booths would be sturdy enough to last though 2 paint job's with out problem's.
Greg

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 12:01:27 PM »
A friend of mine took an autobody repair class at the local community college...for almost 20 years to use their facilities. He just kept signing up for it. It got to where he knew more than the instructors.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 12:36:25 PM »
I used to instruct at our local Vo Tec school in the 80's. We had a few people who did that. For 25 dollar's for a 6 week course it was a bargain.
Problem is the closest Vo Tec school is a 210 mile round trip from me.
I can recommend that everyone who is interested in body work to sign up and take these classes.
You will learn a ton of information and get to use their shops for your project's as long as you can do your work in a day.
They have a limited shop spaces so you will have to move your car when they have to use the shop which is mostly everyday.
Greg

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 04:50:39 PM »
You could do a potentially decent job just by laying plastic sheeting on the floor and forming sides to protect shop equipment.  I've done that and used box fans with filters to pressurize the space to push fumes out the far end.  I did that in summer, so I set the windows/doors up based on prevailing winds, which helped. Once I was ready to shoot, I sprayed the plastic on the floor real good with water to catch anything and off I went.  Paint is still on the car, so wasn't a total fail LOL.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 05:21:52 PM »
That was my original plan but I have some shop cat's and I don't think the plastic would keep them out.
For some reason they think the roof of my car's make good couches. I have had 5 at a time on my roof, they are all most as bad as goats.
Greg

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 08:32:36 PM »
I used one of those $200.oo portable garages from harbor freight.  Worked out pretty well.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 09:37:38 PM »
Thank you, that is what I wanted to know.Since I only have 2 cars to paint I was hoping the unit would last that long.
I may have 3 to paint in the future as I have my eye on a 55 Ford Custom 2 dr like I had in Hi school.
Greg

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 09:25:51 AM »
I used one of those $200.oo portable garages from harbor freight.  Worked out pretty well.

That's a good idea for sure.