Author Topic: Replaceing body bushings  (Read 440 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Replaceing body bushings
« on: June 13, 2023, 03:08:28 PM »
I have my body stripped down for sealer [63 Galaxie 500] and noticed the body isolators are cracked and seemed to be a little compressed.
How much of a problem is it to replace these one side at a time?
I have a lift and a bunch of jacks and i don't think it would be a big job.
I have done these before on some of my other car's but had the body's off the cars at that time.
Thanks
Greg

mbrunson427

• View Profile
Re: Replaceing body bushings
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 05:42:40 PM »
It's easier to lift front and back. I got a treated 4x4 and lifted with a floor jack underneath the body bulkhead at the firewall.

There are 18 bolt locations I believe. The bolt locations at the firewall are the biggest pain, takes some patience and some willpower. The two bolt locations at the front of the trunk are hard to find, you'll have to crawl way up in there to find them. My car is extremely clean and rust free and one of the bolts still broke off. I would imagine on a car with typical rust that you'll have more than one of the bolts break. I'd suggest buying all new bolts before you start.

If you're going to be separating the body off the frame to do this, you may want to think about doing the fuel and brake lines simultaneously. The fuel/brake lines cross over top of the frame a couple times and are only possible to replace in 1 piece if you have the body separated.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Replaceing body bushings
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 06:58:48 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
 I was lucky as there is no rust in the car except in one very small spot, about a 3 inch by 2 inch in the trunk area. I will be replacing all lines in the car so thanks for the advice.
I was going to order all new hardware with the new bushing's anyway because I am a little scared of 60 year old bolts.
Again thanks
Greg