Author Topic: What is the current choice for Type-F transmission fluid.  (Read 655 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
What is the current choice for Type-F transmission fluid.
« on: June 10, 2023, 05:51:11 PM »
I am wondering what is the current go to Type-F transmission fluid to use?

Type-F has been an industry standard fluid for a long time, as well as being used in the transmissions.
I have a C6 that will get a fluid and filter service and am just curious if there are any current better fluids to use for a transmission that is in an occasional use toy type car?

I know about many different brands and formulations but just want to hear what has been experienced.
Thanks in advance.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: What is the current choice for Type-F transmission fluid.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 06:36:00 PM »
I don’t know if it’s any better or just on par with others, but you can get Type F right from the Ford dealer parts dept. As regular Type F has become somewhat harder to find at the chain auto parts stores I’ve just been getting this, seems fine. And I like supporting Ford Motor Company when possible. In the past I’ve always just used a name brand Type F in my race car & older cars, never had an issue with any.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 07:21:50 PM »
Type F is commonly available.  I can still buy it off the shelf at all the local parts stores.  You need to use the type of fluid that is specified for the soft parts and friction materials in the transmission.  Type F can swell seal types not designed for Type F.  It can give other transmission types a firmer shift because the friction materials are not compatible with Type F.  I heard that B&M's trans fluid was a modified Type F.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 01:50:10 PM »
I keep a couple of cases handy.  Common stuff.  I think the last two I bought were Amale brand. If it meets the spec, it meets the spec.  B&M fluid  IMHO is basically Type F.