Author Topic: Brake Line Seepage  (Read 1161 times)

fe468stroker

• View Profile
Brake Line Seepage
« on: May 07, 2023, 11:36:54 AM »
I replaced the 50+ year old brake lines in my FE Mustang.  Whole lot of fun snaking the new lines around the engine :P  After checking and fixing any major leaks, it seems there are several connections that are seeping just a little fluid after tightening and retightening.  Did use the double flaring tool according to the directions.  Has anybody had this problem and if so what was the fix?

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Brake Line Seepage
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 01:47:21 PM »
I don't intend to impugn your skills here, but if the flare is not sealing, the flare wasn't done properly or the tool is not up to the task.  That it is leaking at several points rules out a materials issue.  I will tell you that if these are mild steel lines, you need to make sure you are using a flare tool made for that material.  A lot of the cheaper tools will flare aluminum and copper just fine but do a very bad job on steel.  Sadly, the cheaper tool is the one that you will find at your local parts store.

Edit:  Corrected "...very bad job on aluminum." to "...very bad job on steel."
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 05:36:36 AM by GerryP »

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 09:22:14 PM »
Like Gerry said, sounds like the double flares were not done properly. With most inexpensive universal double flare tools, quite often the flare tends to not be centered, which can prevent the flare from sealing . I have a Blue Point (cheaper Snap On tool), that has a bar with 3 or 4 different tube sizes, and although I have done quite a few double flares over the years, quite often it took several attempts to get a good looking, centered double flare. Several years ago, I bought an inline flaring tool, which works so much better. No more 2 piece split bar with multiple sizes, the inline tool I bought only works with 3/16" tubing, but it works so much better. Since it is also more compact, it is easier to do the flares from under the car, in tighter conditions. Leaking brake line fittings are not an area where anything less than a perfect double flare is "good enough".
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 07:48:51 AM »
Only leaking issue I've ever had was pre-bent and pre-flared stainless steel lines.  I believe that was due to the hardness of the stainless steel.  Tighten, loosen, retighten the leaky connections about 20 times stopped the leaks.  I would not flare that myself because it requires annealing to prevent cracks. 

I normally use the EZ bend copper nickel line.  It's the easiest to bend and flare and it's very resistant to road salt. 

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 09:05:32 AM »
Interesting pointers. Not trying to alter the subject but where are some good places to pick up the materials? I am looking to redo a fuel line as well as some brake lines.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 10:00:35 AM »
As far as materials, Cunifer (NiCop) as referenced above is the easiest to bend and flare.  You can buy the tubing and the fittings on Amazon.  You can also get steel line.  The fittings are the same.  As far as the bending and flare tool, I use Rigid.  There are other quality tools for working with steel line (or cunifer) so when shopping, make sure you read the description to ensure it will flare steel.  And watch some videos on how to do a proper double flare.  Cutting, cleaning, positioning, and pressing the flare all need to be done properly.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2023, 06:59:28 PM »
As far as materials, Cunifer (NiCop) as referenced above is the easiest to bend and flare.  You can buy the tubing and the fittings on Amazon.  You can also get steel line.  The fittings are the same.  As far as the bending and flare tool, I use Rigid.  There are other quality tools for working with steel line (or cunifer) so when shopping, make sure you read the description to ensure it will flare steel.  And watch some videos on how to do a proper double flare.  Cutting, cleaning, positioning, and pressing the flare all need to be done properly.
Thanks for the information. I have a "Mastercool" flare kit that's got good reviews. The CuNiFer material sounds like a really great option. For extreme situations (w/o power brakes) the hardest line option (SS) would give you stiffer peddle feel. My application is a street car. So the low corrosion and easy bending is a win, win.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 07:03:49 PM by Gaugster »
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

katink

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2023, 11:29:10 PM »
Boat trailer ibrake lines in salt water disintegrate after ten years. Bulk stainless steel brake line flared with a SnapOn flaring tool rated for stainless steel. The material is tough, the pressure required to flare the tube strains my milk. The clamping force in the split vise tests the grooves cut in the jaws to keep the tube from slipping. Slow, methodical and patient technique yields desired results. No leaks. The flare nuts are stainless steel as well.

The mild steel brake lines on the Galaxie were easier but required the same attention. I have three flare tools but bought the SnapOn because the others were not up to the one and done test. I hate brake fluid almost as much as I hate antifreeze. I treat both fluids with respect. And yet I am considering buying stock in floor dry.

Good luck getting yours right.

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 08:48:41 AM »
OK  Thanks for the replies.  I am using steel lines and it looks like my flaring tool won't do it right.  One leak is at the factory flared end of the line.with no bends anywhere near it.  Wish I had left the old lines alone.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 09:07:52 AM »
Why I plumbed most of my race car lines with -3 AN lines and fittings.

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2023, 10:54:23 AM »
I may have found the cure to the seepage problem.  The replacement lines from the local auto parts store (probably overseas) didn't feel smooth on the inside of the flare surface.  Found a round tip grinding attachment about the right size for the Dremel tool and dressed the ID until smooth.  As of last check the seepage has stopped.  Won't know for sure until system is bled and pressure applied.  Might be something to check/correct before bending and installing.  Would save frustation and hair loss.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2023, 11:51:03 AM »
You can also use copper flare washers.  If you have all the lines bent up and you're happy with that part of it, then rather than do it all over again, just use the washers.

randomologist

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2023, 12:37:46 PM »
I may have found the cure to the seepage problem.  The replacement lines from the local auto parts store (probably overseas) didn't feel smooth on the inside of the flare surface.  Found a round tip grinding attachment about the right size for the Dremel tool and dressed the ID until smooth.  As of last check the seepage has stopped.  Won't know for sure until system is bled and pressure applied.  Might be something to check/correct before bending and installing.  Would save frustation and hair loss.

Yeah, I'd expect any surface imperfections on the flares on steel lines would result in leakage. When I read your original post, it looked like you were doing the flaring and that's where it was leaking, but if it was actually the store flare ends, you can at least feel more confident about your own work. Parts quality has continued to go downhill in my experience so it seems like inspecting things closer and closer has become required.

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 05:13:46 AM »
I bought the Mastercool  kit and played with it before I actually made permanent lines. I love it. Have done dozens of lines and no problems yet. I have tried it on SST but the results weren't the best. You got to shop for good SST brake line. Alot of cheap SST on the market. The Mastercool is worth the price and has paid for itself.