Author Topic: Valve cover leak  (Read 709 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Valve cover leak
« on: April 15, 2023, 10:35:33 AM »
We are always hearing about oil leaks and one of the "go to" responses is "are the valve covers leaking?"

Today I grabbed my trimmed down valve covers and a new set of rubber gaskets. I use cork on my engine but for the trimmed valve covers I use these as I have about 25 sets of rubber I probably won't use. So, I am priming the oil before I install my engine. As I was dumping oil in the open to valve cover I saw oil leaking at the #4 lower corner. You can see the gap in my picture. So this is what a valve cover leak looks like where the hole is flattened (over tightening) and causes the rail to rise. When using steel valve covers, always check your mounting surface is truly flat before final assembly.
http://www.fairlanet.com/images/leakyvc.jpg
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 07:50:47 AM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

fryedaddy

• View Profile
Re: Valve cover leak - Public Service Announcement :-)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 02:28:31 PM »
Doug,i guess you are coming to kingsport next month,i live 1/2 mile away from the convention center.i think i will drive my comet down there.
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Re: Valve cover leak - Public Service Announcement :-)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 02:38:27 PM »
Yep, I'll be there. Not 100% if I'll bring the Fairlane as my wife, daughter and I are contemplating another weeks vacation in Nashville or Outer Banks or a combination. my daughter graduates college in three weeks and it depends on what events (employment) have taken place for her.

We'll see you in Kingsport.
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX