Author Topic: FE fuel pump eccentric Recommendations.  (Read 1193 times)

v8Dave

• View Profile
FE fuel pump eccentric Recommendations.
« on: March 26, 2023, 11:08:30 AM »
Hello Everyone.
I am once again after another recommendation/advice regarding a fuel fe fuel pump eccentric (Unfortunately my ford fe books with information in are currently packed away and trying to find them is like looking for a needle in a haystack)
What are your recommendations for a new fuel pump eccentric for a ford fe390 stroker. The block is a 65-66 Fe390.
Did the early fe390 have a two piece fuel pump eccentric? then late swap over to a one piece for some reason that is what i am thinking? or is that small block ford i am getting mixed up with?
So recommendations do i try and find a nos ford fe 390 1 piece fuel pump eccentric or nos 2 piece? or is there a better more readily available aftermarket version/brand.
Im sure i read in a fe book somewhere that the 460 Motorsports fuel pump eccentric can be used maybe it was in barry robotnicks book?
Thank once again for any guidance/ advice.
Have a nice day
Dave

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: FE fuel pump eccentric Recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 11:43:39 AM »
I don`t think it makes much difference. I have run the drives both ways and never had any problems. This is on both 427s and 390s.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 02:05:54 PM »
It’s the other way around - the early FE’s had the single piece fuel pump eccentric thru ‘73, then starting ‘74 model year it switched to the two piece eccentric.

The Ford part number for the single piece FE fuel pump eccentric is C3AZ-6287-A. It’s long discontinued from Ford but there are NOS ones out there, and used ones on eBay.

Yes it was Barry Rabotnick’s book that recommended the modern Ford Motorsports substitution. Although Barry called it a 460 eccentric in his book, Ford Motorsports lists it as for the small block 289/302/351W, but it’s the version with the 7/16” bolt hole. It’s part number M-6287-C302. Be careful not to order the version with the 3/8” bolt hole. The Motorsports one is theoretically still available, although I don’t know if there are any supply chain issues at the moment. it’s generally more cost friendly new than the used FE ones on eBay.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 03:02:18 PM »
Which eccentric you use will depend on the timing set you use.  Most "modern" double row timing sets will want the 1-piece eccentric. 

As an additional comment, the Motorsports eccentrics are not available anymore.  If you do find one that has the 7/16" hole, be aware that they are wider than the factory FE eccentrics and can require some timing cover clearancing.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

v8Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 09:04:57 PM »
Thank you everyone for the reply's and information.
Thatdarncat thank you for the explanation and part numbers very much appreciated.
Brent i am going to purchase a cloyes 9-3508X9 timing chain as you recommended, so based on the views/information posted i guess ill purchase a 1 piece nos ford fe eccentric. Hopefully that will work with that cloyes timing chain set up and also have plenty of clearance inside my factory timing cover?
Thank you all very much again for our help and advice, its very much appreciated.
Have a nice day
Dave

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2023, 06:27:28 AM »
The best eccentric is a mint condition old one piece at this point.  The 3/8" Ford Racing ones are occasionally available, but they need to be opened up to 7/16", and you do need to check for timing cover clearance.  They can be machined, but they are really hard to cut and cost a medium fortune for what they are.  The replacement two piece ones that come in a hardware kit are absolute garbage.