Author Topic: factory front disc brakes  (Read 1282 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
factory front disc brakes
« on: March 17, 2023, 10:27:27 AM »
i have a 66 comet with drums all the way around.i have a set of discs complete taken off a 68 at the ball joint.can i just swap the whole thing,and it fit?
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

manofmerc

• View Profile
Re: factory front disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 07:05:58 AM »
On my 66 comet I went with a disc setup off a 69 torino wagon it fit perfectly .You will need different hoses and I used a non power master cylinder from a mustang II application.I went with a Wilwood proportioning valve instead of a factory style .Worked great !Doug

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
Re: factory front disc brakes
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 10:42:53 AM »
On some of the disk swaps, the outer tie rods may be a different thread.  My swap experience is that you need to run the correct outer with the swap spindle.

My write up on my web site from years ago:  Link: https://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/diskbrakes.html

One thing that did change was the tie rod ends. Here is where you will have most of your problems.  First, the dimensions associated with the spindle mounting point for the outer tie rod end varies. For example, on the older cars the tie rod to spindle bolt was 7/16". On the later models, it is 1/2". The taper of the tie rod end mount also varies between models.  Another thing to look out for is the thread that mates with the adjusting sleeve.  For 63 up V8 Falcon cars, 66 up all Falcon and 67 up all Mustang, the tie rod adjusting thread was 11/16-18.  On 60-62 Falcon, 63, 64 and 65 6 cylinder Falcon, 64-66 Mustang 6 cylinder manual steering cars the thread was 1/2-20.  One more exception: 64-66 Mustang with power steering - the thread was 3/4-18 on the left side.  Because of the taper and spindle thread, the outer tie rods MUST come from the donor car.  V8's before 66 and all later models will mate "foreign" outer tie rods with the existing inner tie rods via the adjusting sleeve.  As noted, the early 6 cylinder cars and other exceptions will require a swap to V8 front linkage (center link, inner tie rods and possibly idler arm) or you'll have to fabricate an adapter. Mustangs Plus carries some extra length adapters (at the time of this posting) to help mate odd rod lengths.