Author Topic: 63 Fiberglass hood  (Read 1226 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
63 Fiberglass hood
« on: March 10, 2023, 05:05:35 PM »
Looking on the web today and found a 63 hood with the thunderbolt scoop.
My car had one on it when it was raced in the old days but when I bought it from the first owners it had a stock steel hood on it.
I have a reproduction fiberglass thunderbolt scoop but I hate the ideal of cutting a hole in the stock hood and found this hood from Kebbuck in california.
Has anyone used their product's?
Cost is $475.00 + shipping.
Thanks
Greg

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: 63 Fiberglass hood
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 06:40:46 PM »
Never mind- shipping to my house is $380 so I guess I get to cut my factory hood.
Greg

Tom Gahman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 09:21:14 PM »
Hi Greg, maybe look around for another hood. I found one for my 64 so I didn't have to cut my nice stock hood.I plan to use a 57 bird style scoop. Good luck

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 09:36:43 AM »
Hi Tom
Hoods for a 63 are real scarce around here.
I like the t-bird scoop on the 57 but It won't clear so I ordered the t-bolt scoop and have it mounted without the hole cut yet. I just hate to cut a nice hood but guess I will have to.
Greg

mike7570

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 11:23:34 AM »
Do you know a business near you that you could ship it to?  Some companies charge more to ship to a residence.

The Real McCoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 04:16:33 PM »
There is a steel 63 hood with a Tbolt bubble advertised on Facebook 63/63 Galaxie Parts group.  Pictures look pretty decent, ready for paint, no pictures of underside so not sure what he did for cutting a hole in the hood. Asking price was $700 and located in Westby, WI.  It was posted about a week ago.
63 1/2 Galaxie 500
428 CJ Stroker with 427 2x4 Intake, 427 Long Exhaust Manifolds, Quick Fuel Carbs and TKO 600.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know, it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so."                            Mark Twain

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 04:42:23 PM »
I still have my business and do contract work for various company's around this 3 state area.
The residential cost to ship the hood was $475.00.
I will pass of the hood because we get into shipping cost again. But thanks anyway.
Greg

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 02:13:47 PM »
Greg,
If you have the time, it's no to difficult to make your own fiberglass hood. I did a lot of different fiberglass molds, including 70's and 80's Camero doors and fenders and of course the front and rear wing (the front is actually a wing on the under side), you see on my Formula Atlantic car.

It won't be much cheaper that a ready to go hood, because the materials are fairly expensive and a lot of work, of course.

A hood is pretty stiff so you can make a 3 leg support (both sides and middle), That will let it lay, nice and flat and not rock a round. You'll need to take all chrome off of it.

You'll need at least:
1 qt of gelcoat in any color you choose
Fiberglass mat, enough to cover your hood 4 or 5 times
1 gal of polyester resin and hardener
Mold release, either wax or a spray on liquid
At least one roller, made for getting the air out of the resin & mat, when laying up.

Put release on the hood, then spray or roll the gelcoat on, let it set up. Put the mat and resin on, in 2 or 3 layers over it, on the top and sides. Reinforce the these layers, while still wet. I would suggest 4 corners and the middle, with a X bracing connecting them together.

When that sets up, pull it off. That's your mold. Repair any voids with bondo and sand smooth to match the rest of the surface.

Lay up your mold, the same way, let it set up and there is your brand new fiberglass hood. Reinforce the underside as you want and add your scoop, with rivets or bonding with resin.

When done, sell the mold or make hoods for other guys.

I'm sure you can find video's on You Tube about the lay up process, it's not hard and the most important thing is getting the air out.

I didn't know anything about it, when I started and a local boat builder gave me the basics, pretty much as the info above. That was in the 70's and 80's, way before you tube. I'm sure there are very good tips on You Tube
Frank

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 02:23:01 PM »
Frank
Thanks for the info but in the 70's I worked for a fiberglass manufacture. We used chopper gun's which was way faster then hand laid glass. I also used to build all the mold's.
I also used to do glass work on my 2 62 vett's and my 67 along with any one else's that came into the shop.
Somewhere along the line around the 90's I developed an allergic reaction to raw fiberglass so I had to stop working with it.
If I could still work with it I would have built my hood all ready as it really isn't that hard.
Wish I could still work in it.
Greg