Author Topic: Another reason to remove the manifold pan before installation.  (Read 1173 times)

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
I have had this little 4V intake for several years sitting on a shelf just waiting for me to get time to work on it for myself.  It is a fairly rare intake for the 1968 302 4V J code mustang.  A one year only engine.  The intake was fairly clean for what it is, and I started the porting and when finished removed the oil splash guard pan on the bottom of the manifold to make sure it was clean enough to install back on an engine.  This is what I found.  Always remove the pan and clean before re-installing a manifold that is used.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Another reason to remove the manifold pan before installation.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 05:27:38 PM »
I have had to take a chisel to clean them up before. When I was a mechanic for Ford they said not to waste my time but I could not rebuild or work on one without cleaning under the pan.
Greg

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 09:49:37 AM »
 My dad always said that when you rebuild something do it right or don`t do it at all. Not removing that shield was always a 1st priority in a rebuild or a manifold swap.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2023, 07:43:51 AM »
Ugh! Good idea always to do so. Chevy had a better idea at least with BBC's. OEM intakes didn't have the pan design but the aftermarket had a slip-in pan that sat deep in the valley and, due to distance and design, did not allow coked-up crap to build up like Ford's pan. https://www.musclecarcentral.com/Lifter-Valley-Splash-Pan-Baffle-Big-Block-p/enc-1060.htm

« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 07:45:36 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2023, 10:25:26 AM »
Not really sure if "Chevy had the better idea" since the factory had nothing there, so the aftermarket had to step in to come up with a solution. Actually kinda funny how much Chevrolet actually copied from the FE engine when they built their LS V8 engine, deep skirted block with cross bolted main caps, camshaft thrust plate, evenly spaced intake and exhaust ports, shaft rocker arms, only took GM 40 years to "catch up" to the FE!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2023, 01:43:23 PM »
Not really sure if "Chevy had the better idea" since the factory had nothing there, so the aftermarket had to step in to come up with a solution. Actually kinda funny how much Chevrolet actually copied from the FE engine when they built their LS V8 engine, deep skirted block with cross bolted main caps, camshaft thrust plate, evenly spaced intake and exhaust ports, shaft rocker arms, only took GM 40 years to "catch up" to the FE!

And now they want to claim the Godzilla engine is copying the LS, which copies several designs from the FE and Y-block, which copies a few designs from aircraft engines. Round and round we go.  ::)

And didn't the FE have a valley pan from the factory? I seem to recall a few discussions on here about something like that. Brent is a huge fan of them, if I recall correctly.  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe