Author Topic: I quit drinking  (Read 1338 times)

428Marauder

• View Profile
I quit drinking
« on: January 09, 2023, 01:31:53 AM »
It’s been almost 3 years now. I used to binge drink alone and not sleep and I would spiral into this dark mania, often posting on the internet in a complete blackout. That’s actually why I’m posting this here. I don’t think I did much of that here, but I may have and I wanted to explain and apologize. I was a completely different person when I drank. It started just like everyone else, I’d have a few beers after work. I have chronic pain and it helped with that quite a bit too, but I got to a point where I couldn’t keep myself from losing control. I’ve wrecked my reputation with a lot of people, I’m sure some think I’m a nutcase. Anyway, yeah, I did it mostly for my mental health and it’s really been like night and day. Not here to preach. You all do you. I was bad at drinking, so I don’t do it anymore and I am extremely sorry to anybody I offended.

428kidd

• View Profile
Re: I quit drinking
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 09:05:17 AM »
Congrats to the 3 years sober! That is one heck of an accomplishment. I do not remember any  craziness , but takes a big man to admit his faults and say he is sorry. Looks to me your well on your way and im very happy for you! There is a member here that helped me along on my own journey. Any way very good job man and congratulations!   

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 11:19:45 AM »
Glad to hear you are doing well.  I don't remember any inappropriate posts from you, and you remain welcome on this site - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 01:55:44 PM »
Congratulations on becoming sober. Easy to start but hard to stop for some. No posts that I recall being off. The money saved can go towards more car parts. Always a plus.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 02:46:41 PM »
awesome job on your sobriety. Not easy and that comes from experience. The first year is brutal.
I also dont rememder any weird posts. Just so you know your not alone I will have 20 years on Feb. 17th.
Good luck.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 06:50:09 PM »
That’s great to hear.  One day at a time my friend. I’m a bit over 5 years now. When people ask why I don’t drink, I tell them I did 20 years of research to prove I don’t drink like a gentleman.  Keep up the good work.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 09:56:04 PM »
Good for you!  I've never been much of a drinker but I've been around enough of it to know how hard it is on you and those around you.  You're a better man without it, guaranteed.  It's always heart warming for me to see fellow man succeed.  Keep up the good work bud.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 11:30:51 PM »
My congratulations on what you've done for yourself and those around you. You mentioned chronic pain. If you feel comfortable, you can either give us a short description of what you're suffering or you can PM me. I ask because I know of some ways of dealing with some sorts of chronic pain. I am a medical practice consultant and may be able to make suggestions. On the other hand, if you just want to drop it, I understand.

KS

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 10:25:22 PM »
Thanks guys.

So, my pain is mostly back pain. I injured it in college and it was never the same. I have 2 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. I first applied for SSDI when I was 40 and got denied based on a doctor that made an incorrect determination about my back issues based on a single xray. My SS credits had expired so I had to wait 10 years and earn enough credits to apply again when I turned 50. That was a difficult time, but I did it and the day after my 50th birthday I applied again and got it. That gave me some hope and the will to try and make a better life for myself and is a big part of why I quit drinking. Anyway, even with Medicare now it’s a real PITA finding a good doctor. I’ve given up on pain management docs entirely as they all seem to want to jerk me around and waste a bunch of my time so they can bill my insurance for more money. I had 1 doc tell me (when I was having pain in like 5 different places at the same time) that he would only address 1 thing at a time and that 1 thing would be multiple visits (in the end what you get is a cortizone shot). Anyway, it’s been frustrating but I keep trying to make progress every day.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 05:53:43 AM »
Thanks guys.

So, my pain is mostly back pain. I injured it in college and it was never the same. I have 2 herniated discs and spinal stenosis. I first applied for SSDI when I was 40 and got denied based on a doctor that made an incorrect determination about my back issues based on a single xray. My SS credits had expired so I had to wait 10 years and earn enough credits to apply again when I turned 50. That was a difficult time, but I did it and the day after my 50th birthday I applied again and got it. That gave me some hope and the will to try and make a better life for myself and is a big part of why I quit drinking. Anyway, even with Medicare now it’s a real PITA finding a good doctor. I’ve given up on pain management docs entirely as they all seem to want to jerk me around and waste a bunch of my time so they can bill my insurance for more money. I had 1 doc tell me (when I was having pain in like 5 different places at the same time) that he would only address 1 thing at a time and that 1 thing would be multiple visits (in the end what you get is a cortizone shot). Anyway, it’s been frustrating but I keep trying to make progress every day.

Congratulations on your sobriety!

So on the back pain....

In 2019 I herniated my L5S1.  12mm protrusion, lots of pain down my right leg.  Instead of going straight to surgery, or steroid injections, etc., I went and saw a group of physical therapists in my area who specialized in spine injuries.  Over 12 weeks, they introduced me to a series of exercises (that I still do to this day) called the "McKenzie method".   They focus on positions/stretches/exercises which push the injured disc back in.   Your body naturally wants to reabsorb the protrusion and fix itself, sometimes it just needs a little help.  I did 10 repetitions of one particular exercise each hour, up to about 160 times per day.  Over the course of several months, the pain subsided. 

If you haven't tried physical therapy yet, I would suggest giving it a shot. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

410bruce

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 09:52:04 AM »
Congratulations, my friend!  ;D
I've been sober since around 2008 or so after many attempts at quitting. Finally prayed to God to take the desire to drink away, and he answered in a big way.
Have not had thoughts for alcohol at all since.

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 10:35:56 AM »
Back/neck pain can be difficult to treat and there are so many option. Some work and some are BS. I understand the frustration of multiple treatment, snake oil salesmen, protocols etc...

I have a bulged disc in my neck from being in a mosh pit at Ozzfest. Caught up with me decades layer. My goal was to feel better and avoid surgery and shots. So went with a NUCCA chiropractor. Concept is setting up the body to heal itself. Sounds similar to Brent's solution. Just have to find the treatment that works for you. Good luck.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 10:43:23 PM »
I'll put in another vote for trying therapy. I crashed on my bicycle several years ago and hurt my back. With rest it got a little better for a while then got much worst. I finally asked my doctor what he would suggest and he said try therapy first and I did. I got a good therapist and we tried several things until we hit on the couple exercises that really targeted the problem. It took some work and time on my part but we finally got good results. I will have to work at it for the rest of my life but that pain at least is in remission.....Jim     

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »
Congratulations on your 3 years with many more decades to come. Hope you can get your pain issues worked out.

John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

3goats

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2023, 05:12:29 PM »
Congrats on quitting for 3 years. You still have to be careful, I quit in 2002 and at 3 years sober I had to struggle for a while to maintain sobriety. I drank very hard for 10 years and the last year I needed vodka in the morning to make it till the liquor stores opened at 9am. I was drinking at least 2 fifths a day on the last year and barely ate and instead drank slim fast to get some kind of nutrients in me. Went to 4 rehabs till the last one took, my liver enzymes were very high and am very lucky that I check out fine now. I am writing this incase anyone is struggling now and thinks that they are too far gone...you aren't, you can still make it.