Author Topic: Horsepower Guesstimate ?  (Read 1600 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Horsepower Guesstimate ?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 09:48:18 AM »
You are in an interesting middle point of a nice engine that may not be as fast as you want, but could run really well

The 270H, RPM, stock head combo will run like a dream.  It's a nice street combo with a little chop, behaves nice, and if well tuned will be fun.....I have personally ran that combo hard and it's a sweetheart to take out on the road.  I would consider a distributor recurve, likely 12-14 initial 38-40 total, all in by 2800-2900, it really wakes up part throttle but doesn't do much for racing

However, the parts probably won't get you in the 13s without perfect suspension and a little luck, the list from worst to best

1 - Heads are a maybe - If C6AE-R, they are OK stock, but not great, if C6AE-U, they are 220 cfm heads and hurt you significantly, both in overall power and cam requirements.  Make sure they don't have two piece retainers, those are so heavy, unlikely if GT heads, but it's been a long time since 1966

2 - Manifolds - Probably a 35 hp loss over headers and drives even more change in the cam

3 - Cam - If you had good iron heads and got the backside breathing, it could use some exhaust duration, but IMHO, not worth doing if the other two aren't corrected, and likely would meet your goal if the other two were corrected, just more in it  You can cam it up, but if bad heads it's tough. 

Fast guys run good heads...

BREAK BREAK....I just saw your new plan...very good, but depending on your current heads, the FPA 16 bolt may not work, look close at gasket sealing. If C6AE-R you should be OK, C6AE-U make leak at the bottom of the port due to low exhaust port location on the head and poor gasket crush

Realize that as you go more modern and capable with heads and cam, you may find piston to valve clearance too.  So your plan to run it now, regroup and plan a new engine is a very good idea

Sort of like the old "Stone soup" fable
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Bob H

• View Profile
Re: Horsepower Guesstimate ?
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2023, 07:30:34 AM »
I appreciate the "Words of Wisdom". After giving this more thought ... and getting past some of my financial hesitancies ...I ordered the FPA 16 bolt headers and am looking into 428 CJ heads or aftermarket heads and a bigger cam. Yup, I'm "GOING BIG" ... so to speak. This will be my one chance to have some fun and I want to go for it. The general consensus from my local sources was that no matter what cam I used I would be unhappy with the results because of the heads. I would like to thank Doug Bender ( current President of the Fairlane Club of America ) for forwarding to me his recipe for his 390 build on a budget. I'm using it as a guide ... maybe with some minor adjustments.
Bob Henry
66 Fairlane GT
Top Loader
390 ( 428 crank )