Author Topic: Edelbrock head spark plug hole in the combustion chamber question...  (Read 4164 times)

blueoval67

• View Profile
I just got a set of Edelbrock heads the other day and had my first chance to eye them up. I have a concern over the depth and shape of the spark plug hole in the combustion chamber. Does it present a problem as far as proper flame travel or turbulence issues due to its design? If so what steps should I take to correct the problem? I thought of welding it up, reshaping it and, moving the spark plug further into the chamber by deepening the recess where the spark plug seats on the outside of the head. It seems I might be able to drop the cc's of the chamber if I did this or am I wrong?

Is this a real concern or am I just looking too hard at things and should I just leave it alone? Thanks guys!!
Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: Edelbrock head spark plug hole in the combustion chamber question...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:20:35 AM »
How much power are you looking to make?
They work pretty good out of the box.
With a good valve job and some basic flow work you can make 600 plus with some cubic inch.

blueoval67

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 07:15:52 AM »
I'm looking to put in the larger 2.20 / 1.72 valves along with the necessary porting to get me in the 625 - 650 hp range. My thoughts are that if the spark plug area does cause turbulence issues I can close it up and gain a few cc's and compression in the process and get some more power.

Just wanted to bounce this off of very one here first so see if anyone has done this to their heads.
Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:18:55 AM »
I've made over 700 HP with the Edelbrocks and have never modified the spark plug hole or position.  I don't think it will be a limiting factor for you.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

blueoval67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
Thanks for the input Jay. Sometimes I over think things. No need to re-invent the wheel I guess.
Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »
The best thing you can do to your Ed's,
is when you change out the intake valve go with a 45* seat.
That really picks up the flow.

blueoval67

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:58:35 PM »
That's definately part of the plan along with a modest amount of porting. The HP level isn't going to be through the roof so I feel just a good matching of all the components should get me where I need to be.
Dave Walters
427 Galaxie Registry