Author Topic: Does silicone grease or dielectric grease break down silicone spark plug boots  (Read 644 times)

winr1

Searched on google till mu eyes are bleeding

Some say, silicone based grease will deteriorate silicone spark plug boots or silicone based products

Have replaced many front end suspension bushings that turned soft from oil leaking on them

I have 8 silicone coil over plug boots to replace the original rubber boots on my 2009 4.6 F150

Half of the rubber boots are split an inch or 2 up  in 4 places on the ends

The Motorcraft replacement boots I researched are rubber, thought silicone would be superior

Any advice ??

Ricky.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 02:25:45 AM by winr1 »

Stangman

• View Profile
I don’t think a minimal amount will cause any problems. I don’t use a lot if any it certain circumstances but I have heard if you put to much and make it sloppy it could cause arcing.
That being said I don’t know the mileage but with the average plug change being around 70000 miles
It probably wouldn’t hurt to put a very light film.

TJ

• View Profile
I can understand your reasoning because in general "like dissolves like".  However, I've never seen silicone dielectric grease hurt any kind of rubber.  I use it on all spark plug boots, brake slide pin boots, intake plenum gaskets, and anywhere else I want to stop rubber from drying out.

For suspension bushings, I can understand products like fluid film, brake fluid, and diesel fuel softening suspension bushings but not engine oil...that's kinda weird. 

I learned (almost the hard way) that diesel fuel is bad for coolant lines.  Volkswagen ran a coolant line under the lift pump on my wife's diesel car.  The lift pumped leaked just enough to turn the coolant line into mush.   You'd think they'd see that coming.  I rerouted the new coolant line.

winr1

Thanks guys !!

The plugs are a pain to change, I want to go a few years before doing again....  ;D

My 2001 Mustang has 75,000 original miles on it, the waste fire coil lost one bank around 72,000 miles

Probably age, went to McCree Ford, $100.00, made in Chine ..... still working

I quit wrenching when stuff got fancy and hard to get to ( cept for my Parents car and my vehicles )

Ricky.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
I've swabbed plug boots with dielectric grease and a cotton swab for many, many years - never seen an issue with it.  Keeps the boots form sticking to the plug.  On the race cars, most times I just use a squirt of WD-40 as it's handy, and those usually come off way more often than any other vehicle.

gregaba

• View Profile
Used the dielectric grease since the late eighty's and never had any problems.
Sure beat's fooling with a boot that is welded to the plug.
Greg