Author Topic: Edelbrock Aluminum Foundry  (Read 1181 times)

jearl58

• View Profile
Edelbrock Aluminum Foundry
« on: December 01, 2022, 11:43:40 AM »
Hey everyone,
I saw this on YouTube and thought I would post it. Looks like things are alive and well at the foundry(in California) and hopefully this is a sign that things are getting better in the casting and production area. Maybe the back log of parts we have been waiting months for will finally get shorter. Note if you got to 27:17 you can see some FE manifolds getting ready to be machined. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/yghWAb6Mo7w

John

Quisp21

• View Profile
Re: Edelbrock Aluminum Foundry
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 02:06:33 PM »
Stapleton42 has some great content .

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 03:40:01 PM »
Edelbrocks new owners seem to have a different business plan. They have gone to one plant in California manufacturing parts. Then when there are enough orders, they make them, send them out. There is now very little "stock" on the shelves. Some parts have not been made for over 2 years, and because, the backlog is not big enough,  they have not been produced. Considering the cost of aluminum has about doubled in the last 20 months, this is how they run.
This works for edelbrock,  but try ordering  for a engine build someone is doing. No way to predict when the parts will be manufactured. Case in point, was ordering a pair of heads for a 460. They were on order for 11 months, edelbrock finally did a run at the end of 2021. Now they are backlogged,  again. So one waits again, probably  another year , maybe longer.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 05:01:58 PM »
I have a pair of aluminum heads recently poured by Edelbrock with a hole in one intake port, and a new aluminum intake manifold with porosity in the carb pad area.  So, they are not perfect, either!  I can only hope things get better and return to being proud of "Made in USA".  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2022, 08:34:41 AM »
Edelbrocks new owners seem to have a different business plan. They have gone to one plant in California manufacturing parts. Then when there are enough orders, they make them, send them out. There is now very little "stock" on the shelves. Some parts have not been made for over 2 years, and because, the backlog is not big enough,  they have not been produced. Considering the cost of aluminum has about doubled in the last 20 months, this is how they run.
This works for edelbrock,  but try ordering  for a engine build someone is doing. No way to predict when the parts will be manufactured. Case in point, was ordering a pair of heads for a 460. They were on order for 11 months, edelbrock finally did a run at the end of 2021. Now they are backlogged,  again. So one waits again, probably  another year , maybe longer.

That explains the mountain of SBC Chevy intakes in the vid and the near total lack of anything else. SBF, BBF, Mopar, etc. Makes factory planning easy and efficient but kills off potential buyers at retail due to very long lead times. Maybe some other firm will step in (short runs) and take over the lesser volume non-Chevy stuff and make inroads to Edel-B's dominance.
Bob Maag

badcatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 06:21:12 PM »

That explains the mountain of SBC Chevy intakes in the vid and the near total lack of anything else. SBF, BBF, Mopar, etc. Makes factory planning easy and efficient but kills off potential buyers at retail due to very long lead times. Maybe some other firm will step in (short runs) and take over the lesser volume non-Chevy stuff and make inroads to Edel-B's dominance.

When they got to the machining location I saw several pallets with FE intakes. Later I saw some SBF intakes on a shelf. But more Boe-Tie stuff than anything else.
It was interesting to watch though.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 11:30:04 AM »
I have a pair of aluminum heads recently poured by Edelbrock with a hole in one intake port, and a new aluminum intake manifold with porosity in the carb pad area.  So, they are not perfect, either!  I can only hope things get better and return to being proud of "Made in USA".  Joe-JDC

You would think - especially the head issue - would have been caught in some sort of QC operation prior to packaging.  An issue in the carb pad would also stand out IMHO.  But - things happen.  Spent 20 years in mfg - sometimes the totally obvious problem walks right out the back door to the customer.  Then the customer is on the phone and you're like "WTH people". My 79 TransAm was delivered to the dealer with paint missing on the passenger side fender and a cracked crank pulley.  So much for final QC.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 12:10:56 AM »
Stapleton42 has some great content .
He sure does.
 Check out the Ed Pink shop one and there are two Holman Moody shop videos. He even has a good one on the infamous Yellow Belly Drag Strip.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 12:13:26 AM by TomP »