Author Topic: Tremec TKX help.  (Read 337 times)

482supersnake

• View Profile
Tremec TKX help.
« on: November 28, 2022, 06:08:20 PM »
I have a Tremec TKX trans that I'm installing into my 67 mustang. I have this transmission yoke. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-731006
I pulled the rubber sleeve that goes over the output shaft from the factory and tried to install the yoke and it only goes in about an inch and stops hard. Anyone had this problem before? I have read that others have lightly tap it in and out a couple of times with a rubber mallet and that helped but have also read that others have slipped right in. I would hate to damage something on a new trans.

pbf777

• View Profile
Re: Tremec TKX help.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 07:46:27 PM »
      Assuming that the transmissions' out-put shaft splines are not damaged in some fashion (look up the shaft splines with a flashlight!), by the manufacturer (not likely  ;), but possible) or that particularly being a likelihood from someone else previously improperly installing or removing a driveshaft, or one being thrown-out from especially some sort of driveline failure (I guess not since it's new  :-\), and there is no other foreign material just stuck in the splines (male or female), then I would say, this presents as another example of why one shouldn't buy Summit 'cheap-brand' stuff!  And particularly when considering how much one has spent on everything else for this conversion, why buy this cheap crap anyway?  :o

This relationship is as it is termed: a "shaft & slip-yoke", and if needs to be just that, a 'slip-fit', no mallets required; otherwise the least that one might expect would be an excessive vibration generated, with several other detrimental effects of far greater repercussions being possible.  :o

B.T.W. : perhaps it is just poor literature on the Summit site but "CAST" steel?  The 'good ones' should be "FORGED" steel construction!  But then, it's probably an 'off-shore', manufactured for less product, so what do you expect!   ::)

Scott.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2022, 07:54:19 AM »
Did you pull out the black shipping plug? It has a smooth O.D. and a matching splined I.D. Mine was pushed in to the point you really couldn't see it. If you put the yoke on before removing the plug, you'll push it in deeper. I ran a pair of long, small diameter screws into the rubber plug and worked it back out.

The picture if from a TKO but similar.

Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 10:58:52 AM »
Yep. Pulled that out. I guess I should have tried to install the yoke before putting the trans in. I'll try and see in there with a light and go from there.