Author Topic: Cam Bearings  (Read 718 times)

Jim-W

• View Profile
Cam Bearings
« on: November 15, 2022, 05:20:56 PM »
I’m wondering what the recommended Dura-Bond cam bearing is in a center oilier 390 with a Comp 270s cam the F-24 which by application is side oiler, or the F-33 which is recommended for all other FE’s. I ask because Barry sent the F-24 set for a center oilier I was building. Just want to ensure I’m not missing something here.

Jim

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Cam Bearings
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 12:54:22 PM »
Top oilers/center oilers have grooves in the block behind the cam bearings.   Side oilers don't.   So, if you use an F24 bearing in a 352/390/428/427CO block, you'll just have two entry points of oil to the camshaft through the bearing. 

If you use an F33 bearing in a side oiler, you will need to oil through the pushrods, because the secondary holes in bearings 2 & 4 which oil the heads will not be there.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

482supersnake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 02:16:41 PM »
I've been waiting since August for a set of sideoiler cam bearings. 🤦‍♂️

Jim-W

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 09:49:22 AM »
Top oilers/center oilers have grooves in the block behind the cam bearings.   Side oilers don't.   So, if you use an F24 bearing in a 352/390/428/427CO block, you'll just have two entry points of oil to the camshaft through the bearing. 

If you use an F33 bearing in a side oiler, you will need to oil through the pushrods, because the secondary holes in bearings 2 & 4 which oil the heads will not be there.

Thank you Brent for your explanation on the difference in these cam bearings, I really appreciate it!
BTW, love your YouTube videos. Very informative!

Jim

Jim-W

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 09:55:05 AM »
I've been waiting since August for a set of sideoiler cam bearings. 🤦‍♂️

PM me I might be able to help out.

Jim

RicMc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2022, 07:29:33 AM »
I am also waiting on F-24s we have 3 side oilers in the shop to rebuild and have one set of TRW SH643S. I am confused about the top oiler
having the grove in the casting for the cam bearing. I would think it would get constant oil fed to the head from around the back of the bearing.
Am I misunderstanding something? Just curious. Thanks Brent for the info, I also watch all your videos (FE's Mainly) keep helping us with the life
of our FE world. Thanks