Author Topic: Cut-off torches 101  (Read 791 times)

fairlaniac

• View Profile
Cut-off torches 101
« on: November 08, 2022, 08:22:36 PM »
I've never had a torch set of my own and never justified getting any as I never had too many opportunities to use one. So today I picked up an older set of Victor stuff from a nearby elderly gentleman who had them posted in the local grocery store for sale board. $115 for what you see, regulators, strikers, 50 ft. hose, both tanks and a older cart. The only thing the man warned me off was the seals might need replacing. My past experience using a torch was my buddy's and at his garage when we were dirt racing. I'd light it and cut. So I'm just wondering what I have and what maintenance would be good to perform before I light them up?

I'm not sure what to set the regulators to. Does it depend on the material that you are cutting? Any good recommendations of website or specific Youtube videos to watch?

This looks like the model number might be a 1000? There is a number that might be a serial number? V-354801

There is a FE reference to my visit with the old guy. He mentioned that he had an old Model A or T (I forget), said he had a big block. He didn't say much or care much what I said as he would have long hesitations and then blurt something out. He then asked if I knew anyone interested in a '72 390 from a pickup. He said it was pulled in 1974 and sat since. Said it was a good strong engine. So I asked the price. I thought since I was there and if it were a few hundred, I'd grab it. He said he wanted $2000. I asked if it was a fresh build or what. Nope, when he pulled it in 1974 he pulled the heads and said it looked good. He pulled the oil pan and said it looked good. He followed up with "it might be a little dirty, it's sitting over there in the shed (as he points to a weather worn wooden shed)." We walked over and he opened the door. Off to one side was the short block and the heads stacked up beside it with the intake, exhaust manifolds and accessories laying beside. All on a dirt floor. Cob webs, dead bugs and dirt filled every crevice. Been there as is, since 1974. So I asked what was his best price. He though long and hard and said "$1975". I grabbed the torch set and left.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 07:47:06 AM by fairlaniac »
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX
1964 Comet Pro Street 427+ (in progress)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: Cut-off torches 101
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 11:11:58 AM »
Nice looking torch set.  Doubt much to worry about on them.  Check movement of valves.  Too loose, might leak.  Should just be snug to turn so they stay where you set them.  Likely the packing is still okay.

Regulators?  I always turn mine down after dumping pressure when done using them.  I would slowly turn tank on and see what they do.  Diaphram might be broke?  Off the top of my head I can't recall what I set mine at(I too don't use them often, but glad to have them when the need arises).  I just adjust pressure as needed to do a job and what size head I'm using.
Larry

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 07:36:52 PM »
Check the O-rings at the base of the tips.
Make sure none are hard/cracked/split/flattened out, etc.

My torch set after years of no use, had almost all those O-rings bad. They leaked badly.
Easy to get new ones and easy to change.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

gkieffer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 03:12:54 PM »
Google "Victor welding tip charts" and youll have all the gas setting info you need.

bulletpruf

• View Profile
    • The Bulletproof Garage - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 10:21:34 AM »
Had to laugh about the 390 story!  Maybe if he keeps it for another 50 years it will be worth $1,975!!!
Please check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck rescues, builds, and shenanigans!  https://www.youtube.com/c/THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 12:13:00 PM »
7-10 psi on the acetylene. Never go over 15psi as acetylene becomes volatile. Also an acetylene tank must be used standing straight up. 30-35 on the oxygen, tank doesn't care which way it lays. These pressures are for general cutting, they can be adjusted up or down depending on what cutting tip size you use or for the brazing tips. Besides some leaking seals not much to worry about.

With that said, that is an older model that does not have the anti flash back valves built into the handle. No big deal but you need to be sure to have some either coming into the torch or at the regulator. I prefer at the regulator.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »
I have acquired the flask back arrestors.

Thanks!
Doug Bender

galaxiex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 08:22:57 PM »

Thanks!

Do you have whiskey or rum in those flasks?  ;)   ;D   ;D   ;D

Do those flask back arrestors prevent you from drinking said beverage?  ;D
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »

Thanks!

Do you have whiskey or rum in those flasks?  ;)   ;D   ;D   ;D

Do those flask back arrestors prevent you from drinking said beverage?  ;D

They prevent the flask from going empty.  ;D
Doug Bender