Author Topic: Dick Brannan  (Read 1128 times)

RicMc

• View Profile
Dick Brannan
« on: October 12, 2022, 06:18:57 PM »
I just received a phone call that said that Dick Brannan had passed away. Does anyone have any info about this????

bobb428

• View Profile
Re: Dick Brannan
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 12:12:39 AM »
Yes, he is dead.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »
Well that's a bummer. Without Dick Brannan i'd never have idolized the cars and engines i do. Racing heroes of the early days are dwindling in numbers all the time. Thankfully we have lots to remember them by.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2022, 08:33:12 AM »
Sorry to hear that sad news. Dick drove and developed lots of fas Fords.

See them here: https://www.pinterest.com/stoltzsam/dick-brannan-drag-cars/
Bob Maag

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2022, 03:25:31 PM »
There’s a great book detailing his career. Thunderbolt by Charles R. Morris. Quick read 100 pages or so.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 12:04:31 PM »
Dick Brannan raced during a great era in my opinion.
The race cars were cool, and somewhat attainable at your local dealerships, even if they were not tuned quite the same off the showroom floor.

The drivers, and teams, were approchable both in terms of literally walking up to talk and look, or thinking "I can do that too" because they were pretty regular people who just happened to race, rather than the singular purpose, multi-million dollar race teams and celebrity drivers we have today.

The innovations and alterations were unique in the realm of racing because, let's be honest, safety was not too great back then, so certain things were tried that would never be allowed today.
Some of the attempts had horrible results, some spectacular, but all of them were the product of racers and tuners who had an idea and they tried it because they could.

Lots of hard work, lots of fun, many of the things done were, at the time, just another day that eventually became legend in some manner.

Regardless of how you look at it these were likely some of the guys you watched and decided that looks like the path I'm gonna take too.

Dick Brannan, and many others of his era, were people just living their lives not knowing they would look back to see they have been written into the history books....and to me that is the epitome of cool.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2022, 10:32:34 PM »
VERY well said, CD :)

KS

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 10:02:53 AM »
X2 on CD’s remarks.
I just watched my copy of The Lively One.
A very good DVD narrated by Peter Coyote.
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’