Author Topic: Roots blown FE Builds?  (Read 1530 times)

DubyaTF

• View Profile
Roots blown FE Builds?
« on: October 04, 2022, 12:38:08 PM »
  Are there any roots blown FE examples to study and learn from out there?
 Nothing too crazy in mind- 8-71, iron block, iron LR heads with forged internals burning alcohol.

I guess my questions would be what makes a "blower carb" what it is? Is lift not as important as spring pressure with boost or is overlap the factor to start with? Would titanium exhaust valves be worth it for heat resistance?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 01:10:00 PM by DubyaTF »
Jeff

1968galaxie

• View Profile
Re: Roots blown FE Builds?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 02:07:50 PM »
I don't think you will need exotic exhaust valves for an iron LR FE blower build.
What boost levels? HP?
What is the application? Street, race only, endurance marine?

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 03:30:01 PM »

I found one that Barry built some years ago that was 13+ psi and made 1000-1100hp on a short pull on his dyno. Street/ strip gasser Fairlane is sorta the goal. Heaps of Tri-5 Chevys running around my area so why not try and "one up" those bowties right?
Jeff

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 05:03:48 PM »
I saw that cool build a few years ago.
It had an aftermarket block and high flowing cylinder heads - super big solid roller cam I recall.
13 or 14 psi boost, 10-71 blower - very cool, but a big budget to match.

What displacement are you building?
Sounds like fun.

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 02:36:47 AM »
I ran a Hampton 8-71 blower on a 452 inch FE motor for about 10 years on my Mustang. It was ridiculously fun!

They are very violent and hit quite hard when you "put it to the wood!"

Couple of things. If your blower has a nostalgia type 1/2" pitch drive, I started with a 35 tooth pulley on the bottom and a 40 on top. Then sneak up on the boost. At 1:1, or 35 teeth top and bottom, my motor made 12-13 pounds of boost. Autometer makes a tattle-tale device that you install with your boost gauge to let you know highest boost achieved. Get one.

If you have shiny ceramic coated headers on your car they will turn a dull gray soon after first start-up.

As far as camshafts go my experience is that blown motors don't care much. If you're going to get a "blower cam" with really wide lobe separation and 8-10 more exhaust duration, get a regrind from Ken at Oregon Cams. He's a good guy. I had a big (.640 lift) and a small (.575 lift) cam and couldn't tell the difference.

Use a steel crank. I ran an iron 1UB 428 crank for a few years. Broke it right behind the first main journal.

Use 2 big carburetors and have Faron, a member here with a roots blown Mustang, set them up with boost referenced power valves. Really, do it! I ran 2 Holley 950HP's. The blower won't care how big...just if they're too small. I would not go smaller than 2 750DP's. Go for Dominators!

Roots blown motors love advanced timing, lots of it, until they don't. Use some kind of computer controlled timing device that pulls timing out buy either RPM or boost level. I always ran 100LL AVgas in mine but did eventually put a Snow water/meth system on.

No room for the ignition distributor, I used an Electromotive crank trigger waisted spark deal. It's still working fine.

Lots of other small stuff you'll figure out. Like that huffer is REALLY HEAVY! Think you're going to bend over the fender and lift an 8-71 off the motor by yourself...you're dream'n! 

Have fun!

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 02:47:14 AM »
More pics

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:00:40 AM »
When I do forced induction builds, I normally will put an Inconel exhaust valve in for added insurance. 

As for the camshaft, overlap is certainly something to keep an eye on.  The lift and durations need to match the application, head flow, etc. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 10:08:17 AM »
Not to get off topic but Tommy that car sits perfect.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 10:28:08 AM »
This might be a silly thought but could a guy use a 391 crank leaving the front alone for the extra beef and rework the flange to standard FE dimensions? Ive had it in my head that if I ever where to build a blown FE its the route I would at least look into.   

DubyaTF

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2022, 01:23:06 PM »

So it sounds like 1000hp goal with iron block and heads is a bit ambitious for it to have any durability within a realistic budget.
   Tommy- thanks very much for your wisdom. Your car is a monster! Any comments on a Dyer's blower from anyone? How would running alcohol effect timing advance with the boost? Also would gapless rings and/or ported pistons or vacuum pump be more cost effective? Or run both? All the above?

Lots to learn and quite a few options to prioritize. Thanks again to all for your input.

Jeff

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 05:20:23 PM »
This might be a silly thought but could a guy use a 391 crank leaving the front alone for the extra beef and rework the flange to standard FE dimensions? Ive had it in my head that if I ever where to build a blown FE its the route I would at least look into.

Yep, turn it to 1.600 and use a BB chevy lower pulley drive or leave it at 1.750 and open up a pulley drive. Crank has to be balanced anyway so easier to just cut the snout down a little to 1.600 ..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2022, 08:26:39 PM »
My 390 is as budget as you get.  Stock original 68 2bbl cast pistons, stock heads, mild "non blower cam"(.53 lift).  Did put stud kit in it too and bottom.  Rebushed the rods, double keyed the crank for no balancer(hub only).

22 yrs of playing with it.  5# boost on cold evening.  Stupid fast?  No.  Need better parts?  Absolutely.  Love to put good parts in it and turn it up but BFG radials don't put up with it now.  Oh, its a 4 spd with 3.89 gears.  Runs 3000 rpm at 65 mph and gets 10 mpg with dual 660 holleys.
Larry

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 10:11:25 AM »
My 390 is as budget as you get.  Stock original 68 2bbl cast pistons, stock heads, mild "non blower cam"(.53 lift).  Did put stud kit in it too and bottom.  Rebushed the rods, double keyed the crank for no balancer(hub only).

22 yrs of playing with it.  5# boost on cold evening.  Stupid fast?  No.  Need better parts?  Absolutely.  Love to put good parts in it and turn it up but BFG radials don't put up with it now.  Oh, its a 4 spd with 3.89 gears.  Runs 3000 rpm at 65 mph and gets 10 mpg with dual 660 holleys.
I love it, it made me smile

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2022, 08:25:55 PM »
Makes me smile too....

https://youtu.be/T4Y99ihKVqk

Larry