Author Topic: intake manifold to reservoir tank  (Read 798 times)

Robin Hood

• View Profile
    • Acme Tackle Company
intake manifold to reservoir tank
« on: September 05, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
I have a perpetual dripping from the thermostat connection that I have not been able to get rid of. It is driving me crazy and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and has a sure fire fix for it?

Thank you

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
Re: intake manifold to reservoir tank
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2022, 05:20:21 PM »
My first guess would be a crack between the neck and the tank itself. Off to the radiator shop to to brazed, not soldered......Jim Kramer

FrozenMerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 01:00:16 PM »
Jim is likely correct.  Take it off, get some cheap rubber plugs, and put LOW psi air to it and squirt with soapy water if you want to find the leak for yourself.  Otherwise, take it to your local rad repair shop. 

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 01:25:12 PM »
I've had several expansion tanks. The unit I use now, I completely dismantled it and removed all original solder and re-assembled it with high melt-point solder so I could powder coat it.

That being said, do you know the leak is at the point of contact between the tank flange and the intake manifold, as in the gasket area?  If so, I've stopped several minor leaks in that area without removing the tank.  Thoroughly dry the area, clean the area with some Brakleen, and then add a smear of your favorite color RTV.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 01:31:54 PM by HTM101 »

Robin Hood

• View Profile
    • Acme Tackle Company
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 09:29:03 AM »
Thanks Everyone! I will check out the tank thoroughly