Author Topic: C6 1985 f250  (Read 459 times)

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
C6 1985 f250
« on: August 29, 2022, 11:13:27 AM »
So facebook market place got me again. Picked up a well used 1985 f250 with a snowplow which I definitely need and it will be nice having a dedicated plow truck for my property.

Question is on the trans, supposedly the trans is rebuilt with under 1000 miles. Well on the trip home (on a trailer as it would barley run) a battery cable which was for a secondary battery contacted one of the trans cooler lines and weld its self to the line melting a hole in it. I was unaware of the cables when I picked it up. Upon discovering the hole I noticed that there was no lost oil or any sign of oil at all, odd since I know the trans is full and I just drove it into the shop so I fired the truck up and confirmed no oil spurting from this broken line. Luckily it ran so poorly that I haven't driven it any farther then on and off the trailer. Seems to go in gear just fine.

What can cause this? The truck has mostly sat around for many years with very light use and Ive read on the internet that a stuck check ball in the stator is the most likely cause and just to remove it. Is there any other things that can cause this before I have to remove the trans.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: C6 1985 f250
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 05:42:58 PM »
No cooler flow is usually a stuck check ball in the pump stator. You can just eliminate the check ball, it's not really needed. I think there was a TSB with an update for this at some point. That's assuming the pump is moving fluid and everything else is in good shape. I had a C6 in a 73 F250 do the same thing. You'll have to pull the trans to get to the check ball.