Author Topic: Important -- Oil Pump Issues  (Read 2717 times)

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Important -- Oil Pump Issues
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 03:00:34 PM »
Got to see what this does first-hand today. 

I was down at the shop I normally use to dyno, dyno'ing a 427MR engine.  After we were finished, we popped a 427 on that they had built.  I stuck around to help because FE's are pretty new to them. 

We got their engine bolted up, filled with oil, and went to prime the pump.  It took forever to prime and it took a very high speed drill motor to get oil pressure.  We could hear all kinds of air coming through the system.  Typically, when I prime on the stand, I hear few farts and burps from the lifters, but this engine just wouldn't stop.  We pulled the valve covers and the oil in the top of the heads was so foamy.  Primed again at lower speed so we could see what was going on up top and the oil pressure wouldn't stay up.  It would lose prime. 

At this point we were thinking it had a cracked pickup.  It had some funky DEEP sump pan on it and I figured that at some point the pickup had cracked.  While we were out to lunch, I remembered this thread and the phone call from Doug a few weeks ago.  I pulled this thread up on my phone and showed it to the guys.  Sure enough, when they got back to the shop, they dropped the pan and saw the whopping hole in the center of the cup.  It was just sucking so much air.

This is another reason why we prime on the dyno.  Hopefully we would catch something like that before assembly, but it's a lot easier to catch issues when the engine is on the stand (preferably with the intake off, etc.).

Thanks, Melling.....appreciate it.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:04:17 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

pumpbldr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2022, 03:31:45 PM »
Barry -- I sent you some plugs UPS. Everyone one else I was able to make contact with. Brent, Blair, Jay and Pond Have them now. Get everyone patched up.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2022, 08:48:04 PM »
Did they ever say what there reasoning was for doing that ? Sabotage I tell ya...
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

SMA390

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2022, 09:13:48 AM »
Thank You for this information. This is exactly why the amateur builder / weekend garage warrior like myself reads every post  and tries to soak up the vast amount of knowledge here. That's the fine detail that would be easily overlooked by most.
Thanks again to all of you who post here. I have used the advice here more times than I can count.

bobb428

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2022, 11:33:58 PM »
Titan is the only pump for FE's!