Author Topic: Important -- Oil Pump Issues  (Read 2718 times)

pumpbldr

• View Profile
Important -- Oil Pump Issues
« on: August 15, 2022, 01:24:32 PM »
Melling has just changed a part on the FE series oil Pumps that is causing an issue. They were recently out of stock of FE pumps due to a lack of supply of the relief valve plug. They found a supply of new plugs, but it is different, it has a small hole in it. People were calling me saying that they called Melling asking whats up. Basically Melling said the plug would be fine and NOT cause an induction of Air into the supply/Pickup side through the transfer port of the pump as it would submerged in oil. Problem is these plugs are 3 inches above the pickup. Most cars leave hard oil sloshes to back, leaving plug void of oil and inducing air. Also cars corner and trucks mud womp. FE guys want as much oil in the pan anyways, restrict things, much less now would have to be worried about a sucking sensation at around the "full" mark. BAD, Very Bad. Dont run these. Either epoxy the hole or call me or one of the other FE builders. I have the proper solid plugs. I would hate to see someone burn up an engine for a small over looked new thing. I will be making contact with Brent, Jay, Barry and Blair. I wiil sent them some plugs from my own pocket, for them to have and give you if you need them or have orders with them for FREE.

Thanks, Doug aka pumpbldr
Precision Oil Pumps

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Important -- Oil Pump Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 01:37:37 PM »
That's why you're the man, Doug. 

Thank you, sir.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 01:40:23 PM »
Almost unbelievable that Melling did that.  They should look at some of my oil pan videos, that show the level of the oil in the pan dropping from just running, static, on the dyno.  Thanks for bringing that to everyone's attention, Doug!
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

winr1

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 04:57:54 PM »
Thats why many of us recommend you to others ... thanks !!

Ricky.

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 09:28:18 PM »
And that's a huge hole. Even a pinprick hole in the pickup tube can starve an engine of oil.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 10:40:51 PM »
Doug---

Very classy of you. But that can be said of all the people here. Jay seems to attract that kind of a following. :)

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2022, 09:08:46 AM »
Thanks Doug, I will check shelf stock tonight
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 09:56:10 AM »
Hi Doug.
I ordered a pump from you about 4 month's ago and received it. I have just got the short block together last month.
Should I remove the pump and check it?.
Would hate to blow it.
Greg

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2022, 10:08:56 AM »
So the hole is in the welch plug?

Drilling/tapping for a pipe plug would eliminate the issue. 
Larry

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 10:21:52 AM »
What is the range of dates affected?

pumpbldr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 11:14:41 AM »
Any pump from my shop has the correct plug in them. The date range of this is recent as in last couple months. I have scene this mainly in M57B, M-57HV and M57. I have NOT scene them in the "A" series yet . Changing over to a screw in style plug is really not possible. The FE pumps have a short spring to begin with. By adding a thicker threaded plug would require a shorter spring and not allow the valve to move far enough to bypass correctly. BTW I have contacted Jay, Brent and Chris/Pond yesterday and shipped them the correct plugs to have on hand for all to have. Still have to make contact with Barry and Blair

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 11:20:02 AM »
Thanks for the update.
 I inspected the pump when I received and think I would have noticed a hole that big but wanted to be sure.
Greg

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 11:35:15 AM »
I have either counter bored the plug to allow the spring to go inside or cut it shorter so it fit just like the welch plug.  Its been many quite a while since I did one of mine.  No issues in my 3 FEs.
Larry

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 10:19:56 AM »
I just received a new M57HV and can verify the hole in the plug.
Might not be the dumbest design issue I've ever seen, but it has to rank in the "top ten".
I also verified that it is open to atmosphere - you can send air through the pump inlet and it whistle right out the plug hole.
I don't know if I have any plugs in stock, but I am "for sure" going to need some.

HUGE THANKS to Doug for finding this change quickly.
He has probably saved numerous FE engines from premature failure!

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 11:38:32 AM »
Follow up to this issue.

Spent a bit of time on the phone with the tech guy at Melling.

Pumps with the hole in the plug are now considered to be "defective", and have been pulled from Melling inventory system and reworked.  They cannot control inventory outside of their own network, and pumps with the hole are doubtless sitting on shelves all around the country.  Please inspect any pump you get and do not use one with the hole in the plug until it's fixed or replaced.

As to how an error of this magnitude got past Melling's folks - - the problem lies in the testing procedure.  Melling tests oil pump function by submerging the pump in fluid and spinning the shaft, without an inlet screen assembly in place.  This probably makes sense in production, given that screen assemblies can be widely variable in design and difficult to assemble and remove.  But it effectively masks this type of problem by covering up the hole in the inlet side of the pump.